View Full Version : Default stream timeout

BentoBoxAssault
06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Hey guys, I have a short and hopefully simple question. I know that there is a default_socket_timeout parameter in php.ini that specifies the maximum time for opening a socket.
I also know that the timeout for streams can be set with stream_set_timeout. Is there a default value for the timeout of a stream and if so, what is it and can it be set in php.ini?

Thanks in advance.

Fou-Lu
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I believe that any socket based stream will take the timeout enforced by the default_socket_timeout, but offhand I've never tried this so I cannot verify.
Ah, here's a list of them too: http://php.net/manual/en/transports.php

So, I believe if you have set up a stream using any of the layers used in the above link, that those are all considered to be socketed streams and will take the default_socket_timeout. If not, they will of course be terminated by your max execution time instead.
This smells like something that needs a test. Sadly, the api isn't overly clear about this (or could just be listed where I wouldn't think to look :P).

BentoBoxAssault
06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks! I assumed the same but, as you say, the documentation is not clear about this. It is strange that this is not better documented, since this seems quite important.

Fou-Lu
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I have to agree. Unless I'm totally out to lunch on that, I would expect that there be an entry within the streams section indicating if there is a default timeout, and if there is how its enforced. I make the assumption its the same as with the sockets for socketed streams, but we shouldn't have to make this assumption.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum