View Full Version : IE falls below 60% usage

drhowarddrfine
05-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Link (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/05/chrome-continues-surge-as-ie-drops-below-60-market-share.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss)
As forecast, IE continues to sink, Firefox continues to climb, Chrome is coming on like wildfire. The modern web is winning.

Fumigator
05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
The latest version of Opera looks suspiciously similar to Chrome. Hmm.

Inigoesdr
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm just happy that IE6 usage is on the decline. IE8 finally overtook it in IE market share recently.

drhowarddrfine
05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm just happy that IE6 usage is on the decline. IE8 finally overtook it in IE market share recently.

Replacing one crap browser with another should not make anyone happy.

jfreak53
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM

HA HA HA amean! :thumbsup:

Apostropartheid
05-05-2010, 01:20 AM
The latest version of Opera looks suspiciously similar to Chrome. Hmm.

Little bit, but if some of the Firefox 3.7 mockups copied this look exactly, right down to the application button in the top left corner. Ah, well, I love them both.

Fou-Lu
05-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Haha yes indeed!
The best part then is that 'users' are beginning to understand that the choice of their browser isn't just limited to IE. And this I think is the most important part. I could swear like 5 years ago the majority of my 'users' thought that 'IE' was the 'internet'. So at least now there is a disconnection between the two, and our average users are seeing more options available for them.

Now if I can just convince some of my users that 'Word' is not their 'desktop' :thumbsup:
Lol

futureproof
05-06-2010, 04:51 AM
The computer sector dominated by m$ finally takes a hit :thumbsup:
All because people work together towards a common goal (open source)

jfreak53
05-06-2010, 10:22 PM
the majority of my 'users' thought that 'IE' was the 'internet'.

Now if I can just convince some of my users that 'Word' is not their 'desktop'

I hate that! I get that all the time, Joel can you help me with my Microsoft they say!! Uhm yeah if I knew which one of the 50 programs your talking about!! HUH?!?! ha ha ha

I hate it. Or I get it the other way, I have problems with Windows and they mean excel!!

VIPStephan
05-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Now if I can just convince some of my users that 'Word' is not their 'desktop'

Maybe if you show them OpenOffice?

Fumigator
05-07-2010, 05:57 PM

That would probably blow their minds.

jfreak53
05-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Yeah right that would be over kill, they might explode to know there is something beyond Microsoft ha ha. I showed one client opera and they said is this for real??? ha ha ha

Dean440
05-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Yeah right that would be over kill, they might explode to know there is something beyond Microsoft ha ha. I showed one client opera and they said is this for real??? ha ha ha

It depresses me to know that the only reason Microsoft has such a massive market share in so many arenas is because people just don't know any better.

The fact that Internet Explorer STILL has a nearly 60% market share is a joke. It's about 10 years behind modern browsers and is an abomination. I wish it could just be outlawed.

gameutopia
05-10-2010, 01:57 AM
So many people just see that big E on their desktop or quick launch bar and assume that's it. Maybe it just works for them so they are afraid to try something new. I am not a fan of ie, but since so many still use it, I use it to make sure sites display and work properly for those that do. I wish it would just go away, especially ie6.

cher
05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Microsoft's loss is Google's gain.
Even though I've Google Chrome browser, I don't like to use it.
Mozilla Firefox seems to be the best in security aspect.

loveripad
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, in my opinion no one should criticize internet explorer to that extent nor should anyone stop changing lanes from internet explorer to Firefox or chrome or whatsoever! Remember Chrome, Firefox and all other major web browsers came up recently. Internet explorer has been the undisputed king for so many years but recently other web browsers outclassed it but that doesn’t make internet explorer good for nothing. As a matter of fact it still is one of the coolest looking web browsers of all time!

Dean440
06-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Well, in my opinion no one should criticize internet explorer to that extent nor should anyone stop changing lanes from internet explorer to Firefox or chrome or whatsoever! Remember Chrome, Firefox and all other major web browsers came up recently. Internet explorer has been the undisputed king for so many years but recently other web browsers outclassed it but that doesn’t make internet explorer good for nothing. As a matter of fact it still is one of the coolest looking web browsers of all time!

Internet Explorer is good for less than nothing. It's the ugliest piece of garbage to take over the world since Windows. Boo-ya!

jfreak53
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Internet Explorer is good for less than nothing. It's the ugliest piece of garbage to take over the world since Windows. Boo-ya!

Thank you!! :thumbsup: ha ha ha

hyipbucks3
06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
I think we will continue to see a decline in IE usage rates, along with anything related to windows all together. A few years ago, the computer philosopher Omar Patryn would refer to Macs as Willy Wonka boxes. He was referring to the big ones that were various colours.

Turns out, to my surprise, that Dr. Patryn is now the proud user of a Mac himself. Guess the times are changing!

Personally I prefer IE over Firefox, as its come along way over the past few years. It now has tabs, works fairly quickly, and I have to say that the InPrivate browsing has come in handy a few times ;)

primefalcon
06-21-2010, 12:33 AM
until 3 years ago I was windows user..... I went from 3.0->95->98se->me->XPPro->Ubuntu

jfreak53
06-21-2010, 04:08 PM
until 3 years ago I was windows user..... I went from 3.0->95->98se->me->XPPro->Ubuntu

Go UBU!! :thumbsup:

Dean440
06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I think we will continue to see a decline in IE usage rates, along with anything related to windows all together. A few years ago, the computer philosopher Omar Patryn would refer to Macs as Willy Wonka boxes. He was referring to the big ones that were various colours.

Turns out, to my surprise, that Dr. Patryn is now the proud user of a Mac himself. Guess the times are changing!

Personally I prefer IE over Firefox, as its come along way over the past few years. It now has tabs, works fairly quickly, and I have to say that the InPrivate browsing has come in handy a few times ;)

Try Google Chrome, it'll obliterate IE. And regardless of IE's improvements, it's still leaps and bounds behind Firefox and Chrome.

jbh5000
08-20-2011, 06:23 AM
I agree, I was hooked on IE for a while, but after playing with Chrome I have anew addiction....seems to run so much smoother and more stable.

jbh5000
08-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Is it me or does Firefox really stink since the last major upgrade?

Seems to run slower for me than it used to.

flyingfisch
09-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Try opera. It is faster than chrome according to one survey. I don't know if thats the case, but I still love it.

onlineindex
09-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes the usage level falling but Microsoft is incorporating more advanced features to it in Windows 7 environment, like....

Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) has inherent options for kiosk use. By starting IE with the kiosk parameters ("-k") and your kiosk website address (ie: "iexplorer -k "), it will run with an abbreviated user interface geared toward kiosk usage. In other words, many of the standard features of Internet Explorer typically not needed under a kiosk setting such as the Address bar, Search bar, File Menu, navigation options, favorites, command options, etc., are hidden. In this mode, your kiosk website is self contained and will be responsible for its own navigation paths.

Internet Explorer Kiosk Mode is great for those that need to run their website in a kiosk environment, particularly when using a touch screen only (no keyboard) setup

zcyka
09-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Try opera. It is faster than chrome according to one survey. I don't know if thats the case, but I still love it.

Opera is fast, no doubt about it. When I want to use Tor, I pull up the portable OperaTor since it beats XeroBank for speed hands-down. :cool:

Hurjjtt
09-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Does Tor still work? Are you on Win 7? I had to quit using it a few months back because it quit working for me. Until then, I loved it.

zcyka
09-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Does Tor still work? Are you on Win 7? I had to quit using it a few months back because it quit working for me. Until then, I loved it.

Hhmmm.... yes, Tor still works, but this thread is about the various browsers and somewhat of a celebration of IE use falling like a homesick brick.

To clarify my earlier post just a bit for those who may not be familiar, the XeroBank portable Tor browser is Firefox based. For reasons which I understand may not necessarily be related to its use of the Firefox browser, XeroBank's Tor access is much, much slower than the Opera-based item.

My apologies for inserting a different twist - but I'm still celebrating the decline of IE! :thumbsup:

Thwbqornhill
09-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Yea to IE use falling like a homesick brick! I totally agree.:)

Kor
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Despite many of you, I really don't care about the falling or rising of IE or of any other browser. The only think I like is that there is a real competition, so the result is, always, a better and a faster browser, no-matter which is the name of that browser and who's the vendor...

devsrums
09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Here is why IE falls below 60% usage.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/03/browser-speed-tests-firefox-4-ie9-chrome-11-and-more/

Waka
09-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I can't take people serious if they're using IE.
I can't trust them.

I think Chrome is also BS. It's a big trojan of Mr. G. :eek:

ANCH
09-28-2011, 07:25 PM
IMHO, Chrome is the best browser on the market currently. Granted I use Gmail and there isn't a better browser for Gmail. However, only Firefox comes close to Chrome in terms of stability, but it lags behind in terms of speed.

aditd
09-28-2011, 09:07 PM
IE has that much? Or had that much.
I knew that around 2 years ago Firefox had 33% or something.
Anyway I'm using Firefox for about 5 years and still going to with it.
If it weren't for ready installed IE on Win ... I think the market would under 30% for IE or even less.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum