View Full Version : font help

metathirteen
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
if somebody doesnt have the font im using on my site, is it possible to upload the font file to the server and use it from there so people can still see the font?

Chadwick359
05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Not really, though I read an article recently that some people are trying to put something like that together. For now, you're pretty much stuck using an image or forcing users to download the font.

metathirteen
05-02-2010, 12:17 AM
aw lame :(
thanks though

Arbitrator
05-02-2010, 11:07 AM
if somebody doesnt have the font im using on my site, is it possible to upload the font file to the server and use it from there so people can still see the font?You can do this via a CSS3 Fonts @font-face rule. The formats supported vary by browser:

Firefox: TTF/OTF/WOFF
Safari: TTF/OTF/SVG?
Chrome: TTF/OTF/(WOFF probably next release: Chrome 5)
Opera: TTF/OTF/SVG
Internet Explorer: EOT (WOFF next release: IE9)

WOFF and EOT require that you do a conversion of a TTF/OTF font into that format.

Universal support for the CSS3 Fonts spec is still in progress. Notably, IE is far behind the others because of its slow release schedule.

met
05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
google sifr - essentially uses flash and embedded fonts to display any font you like

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/08/sifr

indepth blog post about it, can't find the original website but shouldn't be too hard.

it's a pretty nice solution and degrades gracefully

VIPStephan
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
if somebody doesnt have the font im using on my site, is it possible to upload the font file to the server and use it from there so people can still see the font?

It is possible, as Arbitrator already mentioned. And it has become easier than ever now with the major browsers supporting CSS font embedding. However: I have to explicitly point out that you have to read and adhere to the font vendor’s license terms, specifically if they allow free CSS font embedding, since if you upload it to the server and reference it in the CSS file anyone could read out the path and just download the font. And commercial font vendors of course don’t want their creations to be given away for nothing.

If you have the right to embed a certain font you can use font squirrel’s font face generator (http://fontsquirrel.com/fontface/generator) to convert the font file into the appropriate formats and output the necessary CSS, too. But use it wisely and, again, only if you are allowed to do so!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum