View Full Version : incrementing a variable

druidfog
03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't know what this is called in order to referece it. Basically I see that you can do a loop to automatically increment a variable (not the value of a variable) like this:

$var1 = "line 1<br>";
$var2 = "line 2<br>";
for ( $i = 1; $i <= 40; $i++) {
echo ${'var'.$i};
}

What I don't know if it's possible is to do that with a $_POST. For example after a person submits a form with 40 fields, it sends to $_POST['field1'] and so on to 40. Instead of echoing every $_POST or manually assigning it an intermediate variable, I'd just like to do an incremental loop with the $_POSTs for the handling.

1. What is the ${'var'.$i} concept called?
2. How would this work with $_POST?

met
03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
with regards to curly bracers and echoing ~ http://www.nusphere.com/kb/phpmanual/language.types.string.htm#language.types.string.parsing.complex

with regards to post and lots of fields ~ http://php.net/manual/en/control-structures.foreach.php

Fou-Lu
03-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Use an array; that will let you control the size of the variables:

<input type="text" name="field[1]" />
<input type="text" name="field[2]" />

foreach ($_POST['field'] AS $key => $value)
{
printf("Field offset: %d = %s\n", $key, $value);
}

// Or:
$iFieldCount = count($_POST['field']);
for ($i = 0; $i < $iFieldCount; ++$i)
{
printf("Field offset: %d = %s\n", $i, $_POST['field'][$i]);
}

In response to you're first question, thats called concatination of strings to be interpreted later as a variable. This is IMO a bad approach. Arrays are much more simplistic and easy to go. $_POST itself can be completely iterated and evaluated on an individual level for each key / value combinations. Above code shows if you were to group a particular part as an array, which would make sense for things like radio buttons, potentially password verifications, user bio information, and whatnots.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum