View Full Version : effect on seo if i change my index file from .html to .php

sim_pack
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
i'm not sure if this is the correct forum to start this thread.. my apologies..

my concern is will there be an effect in my site's ranking and visibility if i change my index file from .html to .php? any tips on how to ensure the smooth transition from .html file to .php?

thanks..

abduraooft
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
my concern is will there be an effect in my site's ranking and visibility if i change my index file from .html to .php? There's no advantage in the SEO point of view.

sim_pack
03-17-2010, 01:47 PM
There's no advantage in the SEO point of view.

thank you for the prompt and helpful response.

my only intention in changing my index file from .html to .php is to make the jump from a static web page to a dynamic one. if i continue with changing to .php, will i need to do something to ensure that there'll be no confusion with indexing of my web page since it'll have a different file extention?

tomws
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Google is smart enough to index where the content it, but you should probably set up some redirects from the old extensions to the new. I think it's a 301 that denotes a permanent change.

abduraooft
03-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh.. I misread your post. In that case, you could set permanent redirects as mentioned by tomws.

sim_pack
03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
to tomws and abduraooft, thank you very much for your help..

R1im
03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think it'll affect your SEO or pagerank, but to be sure, use htaccess redirect:

// 301 Moved Permanently

redirect 301 /index.html /index.php

also, this will redirect all html files to your php files:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule (.*).htm$ /$1.php

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum