View Full Version : Which HTML editors are better than Dreamweaver?

Magic Toolbox
03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Dreamweaver has been the leading HTML editor for about 10 years now. But in the last 5 years, it's hardly improved.

What other editors / IDE's are worth trying as a Dreamweaver alternative?

MattF
03-16-2010, 11:27 PM
vi(m).

tomws
03-17-2010, 12:16 AM
All of them are better, except FrontPage/Publisher. :p

My signature provides answers, too.

nevin
03-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Well Dreamweaver is the best html editor,apart from it i can suggest
-Frontpage
-Contribute
-CoffeeCup HTML Editor
-Freeway

drhowarddrfine
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
FrontPage has not been available since 2006 and I would never take any advice from anyone who suggests to use it.

Magic Toolbox
03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I wonder if there is something newer that can approach web development from a different/better angle.

For example, has anyone used these two?

http://www.aptana.org

http://www.coderun.com/

MattF
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
FrontPage has not been available since 2006 and I would never take any advice from anyone who suggests to use it.

That made me chuckle, for some reason. :D

MattF
03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I wonder if there is something newer that can approach web development from a different/better angle.

For example, has anyone used these two?

http://www.aptana.org

http://www.coderun.com/

Never used either of those. The question is never whether something is better, btw. It always boils down to a simple case of preference, coding habits and abilities. Some people, like myself, wouldn't code in anything other than a commandline, (vi), editor, whereas others need all the fancy features and UI stuff they can lay their hands upon. There is no one tool fits all solution. Each person has a different style, and will find a tool, (or several), which fit their specific needs/preferences.

MrEnder
03-23-2010, 01:31 AM
notepad++ or for something special eclipse

if you want less hassles
if you want to truely design and program the site
if you want a site thats less bloated and easy to make w3c

there is no better way to program then by hand

for error checking use w3c validation and firefox's firebug.

tomws
03-23-2010, 01:33 AM
I use Aptana and prefer it to a raw Eclipse installation.

tomws
03-23-2010, 01:38 AM
if you want less hassles
if you want to truely design and program the site
if you want a site thats less bloated and easy to make w3c

there is no better way to program then by hand

I'd be interested in an explanation of how an editor with built-in code completion, function hinting, code folding, and bracket matching make a program more bloated, more of a hassle, and invalid. But perhaps I misunderstand you and you're rather implicating WYSIWYG editors.

VIPStephan
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Dreamweaver is pretty decent in my opinion but it just has too many features I never use and therefore I’m not intrigued to pay such a high price for it. I’m using Coda which has a lot of useful features but is also lacking some I’ve found useful in DW. A mix of the best of both would be perfect. :)

Magic Toolbox
03-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Coda looks like a great program http://www.panic.com/coda/, shame it is only for Mac. Another reason to switch from PC to Mac I suppose!

ScottKCooper
03-25-2010, 08:02 PM
If you really want to get out there - there is a company called sitegrinder, which pulls "hints" from your photoshop layers, and creates code - that would be some major wysiwyg code! I haven't tried it - has anyone else heard of it, thinking of using it?

tomws
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
If you really want to get out there - there is a company called sitegrinder, which pulls "hints" from your photoshop layers, and creates code - that would be some major wysiwyg code! I haven't tried it - has anyone else heard of it, thinking of using it?

I saw something similar last week (http://psd2cssonline.com/), but haven't played with it.

timsoulo
03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty a newbie... but my friend advised me to use Eclipse.. and I'm currently coding in it

M3VDJ
03-28-2010, 12:35 PM
... but I prefer Visual Studio over Dreamweaver.

And I liked FrontPage too.

I think it was the cleaner look that set me off.

drhowarddrfine
03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
... but I prefer Visual Studio over Dreamweaver.

And I liked FrontPage too.
I would never take the advice of anyone who says they like FrontPage. Not only has this product not been on the market for 4 years, it's always been known as the worst code generator of all time.

VS over Dreamweaver? Talk about comparing apples and oranges but I don't recall them being the same product. Even if VS does have the same features, why would anyone spend that much money to do what DW does? Makes no sense at all but consider the source.

M3VDJ
03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I would never take the advice of anyone who says they like FrontPage. Not only has this product not been on the market for 4 years, it's always been known as the worst code generator of all time.

VS over Dreamweaver? Talk about comparing apples and oranges but I don't recall them being the same product. Even if VS does have the same features, why would anyone spend that much money to do what DW does? Makes no sense at all but consider the source.

You're not the only person who's told me that.

I didn't pay for VS - I acquired it from MSDN Academic Alliance with my old school... along with several copies of various servers.
With VS you can do coding in Visual Basic, C#, C++, Java (though that might be a dedicated version) as well as HTML coding. It's much more appealing for me to work in the same interface, and it should encourage me to do more coding... That's the plan anyway.

tomws
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I didn't pay for VS - I acquired it from MSDN Academic Alliance with my old school... along with several copies of various servers.

You may want to consult the license section describing usage after leaving your institute of higher ed. Also possibly relevant is the section requiring only non-commercial usage.

M3VDJ
03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
You may want to consult the license section describing usage after leaving your institute of higher ed. Also possibly relevant is the section requiring only non-commercial usage.

I'll have a look into that... the thought hadn't occurred to me. Although there is nothing to stop people from using it regardless...

I have no intention of using it to get money... Although I can imagine MS having a pretty big fit at me if I was to!

drhowarddrfine
03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
With VS you can do coding in Visual Basic, C#, C++, Java (though that might be a dedicated version) as well as HTML coding.That's true of any editor but there are those widgets that help keep track of some things for you. I just remember what a pain it was to set it up so I've not used it to any extent. It's still laying around here somewhere.

oracleguy
03-30-2010, 02:59 AM
That's true of any editor but there are those widgets that help keep track of some things for you. I just remember what a pain it was to set it up so I've not used it to any extent. It's still laying around here somewhere.

These days you just install it and it works, it is pretty painless. At least the professional edition is, I haven't used the express versions in a long while. I use it a lot for C++ and C#, some of the built in refactor tools are really handy.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum