View Full Version : Templates

04-30-2003, 01:18 AM
Not exactly sure what this would go under, but I figured it'd be General Web Building :-)

Anyways, those annoying web hosting templates people are always trying to sell you - I was wondering if the designer codes the entire site, or just makes a layout for what the site will look like to sell (as in, design the front page only). Anybody know anything about this? :-)

04-30-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm not too certain but a friend recently used one as supplied by her ISP.

For a quick simple start up it seemed OK - a case of collect your desired components and glue them together. The problems arose when she asked for a critique and was unable to implement some suggestions due to the limit of the templates/supplied components.

I don't know if that is the same for all the available templates but I would imagine that the options are limited in most cases. Unfortunately today was HDD spring cleaning day and I know I dumped the files and related emails:(

I'll try to find out tomorrow what ISP and package was being used if anyone is interested.

04-30-2003, 02:06 AM
erm...I don't think we're talking about the same thing..

That's an example of what I'm talking about (see 2 above for original question)

04-30-2003, 10:51 PM
that question did warrant a response from someone ya know :-)

05-01-2003, 04:45 AM
Perhaps clarifying the question would help. Maybe I'm not the only one who misunderstood:o

Did you mean:-

A) "Are the sites offered by these people going to be written (by them) according to an existing template with your text/images added"?
B) "Are the sites advertising these services using a front end written written by a designer; with the content of the linked pages filled in by an infinite number of monkeys using only one keyboard"?
C)Something else?

Either way I wouldn't touch the provider in your example - have you seen the code?!.:rolleyes:

05-01-2003, 09:53 AM
I'm thinking a template is made so that from one page/file, the entire site can be created.

05-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Ah, I was thinking along the lines of the templates as shown in the pages on
Sort of "websites by numbers" for non-techies.