View Full Version : idea for a javascript editor

Tails
04-28-2003, 08:58 PM
I have an idea for a javascript txt editor. Could there be something to let you run each statement one at a time for trouble shooting? And between each of those pauses, if something goes wrong, let you alert a variable or something in realtime just to verify if a function passed its data on correctly? This sounds like a debugging idea. Will this go anywhere? Or has it already?

Tails
04-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Sheesh, I take that as a NO. Well, don't hate me if I use the idea myself. Afterall, nobody has anything to say about it, so it's clearly not your idea or concern.

beetle
04-29-2003, 09:08 PM
hehe

Well, that would certainly be interesting. it's been a long time since I've done any non-script programming, but when I did the version of TurboPascal I was using would let you step through the code line by line, add variables to a watch window, insert breakpoints, stuff like that. I don't know how easy or hard any of this will be able to do, but I suspect it will not be easy, if possible at all.

Personally, I can't think of how this would be done.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Roy Sinclair
04-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Start Mozilla > Tools > Web Development > Javascript Debugger (not Javascript Console which is a different option).

You can download a javascript debugger for IE from the MS web site.

liorean
04-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Yes, that is about the same that a debugger does, and Venkman is an excellent such. It's no editor at the same time, though.

If you do that, can you write a stepper with partial stepping abilities, too?

(A stepper is something that goes from the top to the bottom, showing what the code will be at each step of evaluation)

A LISP example:
Original: (+ (/ 9 (- 5 2)) (* 4 (* (- 10 2) 3)))
Step 1: (+ (/ 9 3) (* 4 (* (- 10 2) 3)))
Step 2: (+ 3 (* 4 (* (- 10 2) 3)))
Step 3: (+ 3 (* 4 (* 8 3)))
Step 4: (+ 3 (* 4 24))
Step 5: (+ 3 96)
Step 6: 99

(Numeric operations chosen because I guess not many know LISP here, and numeric operation is kinda alike in all languages, so people should understand it in any case)

brothercake
04-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by liorean
I guess not many know LIPS here
No I've never programmed anything with LIPS ... but I can play the piano with my NOSE :D

liorean
04-29-2003, 10:57 PM
You've never programmed any humanoid robots, then?

(It's corrected now...)

jalarie
04-30-2003, 02:56 PM
I have a JavaScript editor/tester (no stepping though) on the "Samples of my work > Bookmarklet Editor" page at:

http://spruce.flint.umich.edu/~jalarie/

Tails
04-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Hmm, so there was such a thing. I remember once trying to find the microsoft script debugger and it didn't seem to exist. Maybe it wasn't even javascript. Microsoft.com is so disorganized when it comes to trying to find what you need.

beetle
04-30-2003, 09:21 PM
go straight to msdn.microsoft.com -- a 2-3 keyword search usually gets you what you need.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum