View Full Version : College filters out my site --any fix?

crubbles
04-28-2003, 03:33 PM
I am in involved with a website that criticizes Liberty University. The university's filters do not allow anyone at the college to access our site.

Originally we were able to bypass that by going to:
http://geocities.com/liberty_truth

instead of:
www.geocities.com/liberty_truth

Now both are blocked.

We have moved the site to a different address. And for now, the site is accessible. However, they have tried to block us three times already and will probably do so again.

Is there any other way to bypass the filters without changing the addres each time the URL is blocked?

I am willing to shell out a few bucks over this if need be...

I tried thinking of a few solutions involving masking or forwarding, but i couldn't come up with anything.

brothercake
04-28-2003, 03:43 PM
You can't bypass the filters; and sorry, but I wouldn't tell you how to even if you could.

Why is this happening - are they blocking your URL specifically, or just generically because it doesn't have a PICS label?

crubbles
04-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Yes, my URL specifically. They don't like my website because it criticizes the college's policies on free speech. (ironically)

I am not asking for information on how to teach individuals to bypass the filters. Rather, I was wondering if there was something I could do on my end. URL cloaking or something similar...

beetle
04-28-2003, 04:08 PM
I dunno. Sounds like if you really want this sucker available, you'll need to get local government involved, or at least contact a lawyer that knows constitution stuff.

crubbles
04-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Haha..they're a private university. They can censor whatever they want. (and they do!)

crubbles
04-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Ok well, I was just wondering if changing the address was the only to go about it. Thanks!

brothercake
04-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by crubbles
Haha..they're a private university. They can censor whatever they want. (and they do!)
If they're a private university then their students are customers, who have the right to expect unfettered access to information - which includes information that critisizes them.

But whether they have the right to block that from within their premises - yeah probably they do, in the same way that McDonalds can tell protestors not to demonstrate on their premises even though they can't stop the demonstration altogether.

But by the same token, the students (customers) should reasonably be informed of this in some contractual way. In other words, if the contract that exists between the unviersity and the student doesn't explictly say that internet access will be censored, and given that redistribution of information is a university's primary remit, you could conceivably make a case for anti-trust or anti-competitive behavior.

Maybe ...

Catman
04-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Or you could talk with a local newspaper about this. Sometimes a little public humiliation can do wonders.

beetle
04-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Catman --

I like the way you think. The press would eat this up.

:thumbsup:

ionsurge
04-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Catman
Or you could talk with a local newspaper about this. Sometimes a little public humiliation can do wonders.

Like get you a few months worth of insider hell... :P

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum