View Full Version : OOP Affecting Paid Work?

Joseph Witchard
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Object Oriented Programming is all about code reuse. How does that work out on developing for a living? I know a lot of developers set an hourly rate. If your client requests a web site/application, for which you only have to make very little changes to code in the library you've already built, wouldn't that eat into the developer's fee an awful lot?

liveperson
03-02-2010, 07:28 AM
No OOP has made coding more complex , you will take more time to understand and enhance.

Joseph Witchard
03-03-2010, 06:26 AM
But by the time you've been working as a coder for a long time, you're bound to have tons of code libraries built. If something you have works perfectly for a new client with only an hour or two worth of modification, shouldn't that eat into the profits?

Fou-Lu
03-10-2010, 11:50 PM
But by the time you've been working as a coder for a long time, you're bound to have tons of code libraries built. If something you have works perfectly for a new client with only an hour or two worth of modification, shouldn't that eat into the profits?

I don't see why it should. I quote based on work done, not on hours spent. I generate my quote by the time I expect it to take though; if I expect 10 hours and it takes me 8 because I can use previously created classes, great I just bonused 2 hours. If I expect 10 and it takes me 15, I just lost 5 hours.

Libraries are you're code. Just because you've developed a component for someone else that you are now reusing in you're next project doesn't mean that you're current client should be given a discount for it. Thats like having to cut Zend in for a share since you use a function like isset instead of writing it from scratch.

Joseph Witchard
03-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Okay. I just wasn't sure how it worked since I've read that a lot of developers charge by the hour. Thanks:)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum