View Full Version : PHP or ASP? Which is better?

CGDesigns
03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I'm building a search on a website for a rather large database. At the moment I am using PHP/MySQL and I've run into quite a few roadblocks.

So, I've been looking into ASP to see if it would be any easier. The more I look at it, the more I think it'll best suite what we need.

But, I thought I'd ask ya'll's opinions on what you think is better for a large database - PHP or ASP?

Thanks!
Qadoshyah

MattF
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm building a search on a website for a rather large database. At the moment I am using PHP/MySQL and I've run into quite a few roadblocks.

Such as?

So, I've been looking into ASP to see if it would be any easier. The more I look at it, the more I think it'll best suite what we need.

Which is?

But, I thought I'd ask ya'll's opinions on what you think is better for a large database - PHP or ASP?

Neither. Some form of database system is best, (and a necessity to boot), for a database, (of any size).

mlseim
03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I think that if you are hosted on a UNIX server, you'll be using PHP.
A Windows Server will be using ASP (active server pages), but possibly they can also use PHP?

I think ASP or PHP really depends on the server configuration.

bdl
03-01-2010, 08:55 PM
PHP has (relatively) nothing to do with your database. If MySQL isn't working for you (which I doubt, in my experience it's more a "I don't know SQL / MySQL" problem than an actual roadblock with the server), then you can choose from one of a handful of other engines (Postgresql for example) that may better suit what you're trying to accomplish.

Having said all that, you've asked a relatively subjective question in a PHP forum. I'm going to guess we're all likely to help you sort out your PHP problems and steer you away from ASP.

Aside from the questions already posed to you by MattF, I'd ask "why ASP vs PHP"? Why not PHP vs ASP vs Java vs Rails vs Python vs... you get the idea.

CGDesigns
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Such as?

Which is?

Neither. Some form of database system is best, (and a necessity to boot), for a database, (of any size).

The format the data is in isn't the most organized, which has nothing to do with PHP or anything, so that has caused some problems. I'm working on getting that organized though. And then I've just run into a few coding problems, which is probably mainly due to my newness to PHP/SQL ;).

I think I've answered my own question and plan to stay with PHP at the moment. I'll post any help that I may need up here . . . which I'm sure there will be at least some questions ;).

Qadoshyah

MattF
03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
The format the data is in isn't the most organized, which has nothing to do with PHP or anything, so that has caused some problems. I'm working on getting that organized though. And then I've just run into a few coding problems, which is probably mainly due to my newness to PHP/SQL ;).

I think I've answered my own question and plan to stay with PHP at the moment. I'll post any help that I may need up here . . . which I'm sure there will be at least some questions ;).

Yup, you've arrived at the correct answer. :D There's rarely an occasion when you'll find yourself limited by PHP itself. Sort your DB layout to make it coherent and then post up any questions you may have if you run into coding problems. You'll get it sorted and working as should, eventually, if you work through it methodically.

CGDesigns
03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Yup, you've arrived at the correct answer. :D There's rarely an occasion when you'll find yourself limited by PHP itself. Sort your DB layout to make it coherent and then post up any questions you may have if you run into coding problems. You'll get it sorted and working as should, eventually, if you work through it methodically.

Qadoshyah

livebythecode
03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
PHP is much more dynamic than ASP i am asure of that. I have had 6 year's coding time soooo... Beleive what you think anyway's, don't listen to others
:thumbsup:
Do what you think's best x

Peace out x

CallumJohnson
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I thought it was all down to personal preference w.r.t .PHP vs .ASP?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum