View Full Version : teach me the important "hello world"-type stuff in Joomla (Drupal too if you want)

02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
1) Project Details: (be as specific as possible):

I am an experienced desktop apps programmer and am borderline familiar with basic PHP. At least the coding and the database aspects, e.g. I have no experience with templates and making the page look good whatsoever.

So what I want here is to learn the fundamentals of Joomla as applied to, let's say, building a classifieds site like Craigslist or maybe a very primitive forum. Or maybe you can suggest another more appropriate learning project.

What I mean by "hello world" in the title is, I am not asking for you to build the entire app or even watch me build it myself. Rather, I want to work with you to write demo code using the essential, widely used components and, of course, not using the not-so-essential ones. Sort of like if I were teaching people programming WinForms in C#, I would have taught the 5 most commonly used controls and their events and the commonly used API like collections, strings and file access. Well, so I am hoping that someone who has Joomla experience would likewise have a notion of what is a good bare minimum of component knowledge that a newbie needs to be able to get off the ground - the basic components, the basic templates, the admin panel etc.

You can teach via Skype voice chat and collaborative text editor like collabedit.com. Ideally, you would have a working installation of Joomla which both of us could access over the web to check that behavior that is developing on my machine is the same as your reference model.

I am not necessarily asking for very experienced people (that would be nice, but they probably cost a lot more). I am guessing that even if you are not stellar / extremely productive at it, if you can build basic apps, you can then teach me how to do that as well. And that's what counts here.

2) Payment Amount:
you tell me
3) Payment method/ details (Paypal, check? Timeline?):
4) Additional Info (about project or potential bidders):

03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd be more than happy to teach you in return of you teaching me some techniques in Windows forms programming.

Let me know via PM if this is of interest to you.