View Full Version : Ipad Taking over School Books?

Random tech
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
My Question, when do you think the Ipad Will Take over School Books?
If not today When?
I'm not a Fan of the Ipad but i can see in the future this kind of tech will be standard, like laptops has been added to a lot of curriculum.
I don't think any students want to attend class anymore with out a smart phone/laptop
for easy access to information!
Like in the 80's When calculator watches where the Epic Tech to have in School..

Random tech
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
was it the 80's or 70's
School projects..
umm...

Apostropartheid
02-25-2010, 12:13 AM
No. If you're spending that much money, you may as well buy a full-fledged laptop.

drhowarddrfine
02-25-2010, 04:39 AM
My Question, when do you think the Ipad Will Take over School Books?
If not today When?Not today because it's not out yet. What makes you think they will at all?

like laptops has been added to a lot of curriculum.Both my sons are in fairly modern colleges but neither are required to have laptops to do any of their work.

Like in the 80's When calculator watches where the Epic Tech to have in School..
??? Never heard that before.

VIPStephan
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
This used to be a spam post, oracleguy has already removed the link to the site (a blog) where the first post was almost exactly copied from. I doubt that the poster was interested in any constructive discussion and will come back anytime soon.

It is kind of an interesting subject, though, as I’ve thought about this myself already. My major concern would be: will people forget how to write by hand some day because they are only using their tablet PCs?

Oh and I’ve heard that in some school (comparable to a high school for you U.S. guys out there) in my area they have installed electronic “chalkboards”. And some already have the vision that students have screens/computers on their places that can communicate with that chalkboard etc. So some day they’d just use their USB stick or whatever to go to school. Interesting thought experiment. :)

drhowarddrfine
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Oh and Iíve heard that in some school (comparable to a high school for you U.S. guys out there) in my area they have installed electronic ďchalkboardsĒ. And some already have the vision that students have screens/computers on their places that can communicate with that chalkboard etc. So some day theyíd just use their USB stick or whatever to go to school. Interesting thought experiment. :)

They have the electronic boards in one of my son's classes but students can't interact with it. Of course, how do they input anything? They have to type it or write it. Typing and writing are the same hand/mind interaction.

BuhRock
02-25-2010, 07:56 PM
I could see some of the more "richer" schools using the iPads. My college has already started an Ipod Touch program, from which they have to use on almost all the assignments and to find resources with it.

Fumigator
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
I like my ipod touch and everything, but if someone made me do homework on it I'd drop out and become a crack dealer.

Apostropartheid
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Electronic whiteboards (or smart boards)--these 'chalkboards', though that term is fairly dated--are pretty much standard in UK schools. They're mostly just capable of projecting the image of the teacher's laptop on the screen and interaction via touch, but when considered that this is in every classroom, you can see the potential for large advancement.

SBDTHRU
02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Electronic whiteboards (or smart boards)--these 'chalkboards', though that term is fairly dated--are pretty much standard in UK schools. They're mostly just capable of projecting the image of the teacher's laptop on the screen and interaction via touch, but when considered that this is in every classroom, you can see the potential for large advancement.

Won't be long till you can bring laptops into high schools. EVERY single teacher High School has a smartboard, some have normal PC's + tablet PC's. I know of a few kids that used there laptops to take notes. I don't think the iPad will do it because most schools lean towards companies like Cisco for their systems. The iPad isn't compatible, but it would not surprise me if something similar (Like Dells Mini 5) took some place in schools.

oracleguy
02-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Won't be long till you can bring laptops into high schools. EVERY single teacher High School has a smartboard, some have normal PC's + tablet PC's. I know of a few kids that used there laptops to take notes. I don't think the iPad will do it because most schools lean towards companies like Cisco for their systems. The iPad isn't compatible, but it would not surprise me if something similar (Like Dells Mini 5) took some place in schools.

The issue with using laptops to take notes is it requires a level of maturity that high schoolers mostly lack. It is really easy to not pay attention and play flash games instead.

Apostropartheid
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
The issue with using laptops to take notes is it requires a level of maturity that high schoolers mostly lack. It is really easy to not pay attention and play flash games instead.

That's true. I can see this being used for sixth form (16-18) here. Pen & paper distractions are bad enough. And chemistry + maths will be at a disadvantage.

Intranets are also a problem. What happens if files are stored on a Windows share? A lot of schools have partnered with Microsoft.

Courtney
02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
We have schools here in the US that have tried a 1 to 1 student laptop ratio. The amount of repairs, software problems and issue of "Who is responsible when the kid breaks it at home or intentionally?" Plus what if the kid forgets it at home? How do we keep track of what they are placing on it?

Needless to say we stopped the program and while we still have 1 to 1 computing the program is a normal "check out" method where it is a class at a time and not required for curriculum.

This is at 3 of my local schools.

They are looking into Kindle though...

Fumigator
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Bureaucrats of Education make me laugh... they think the solution is to give all this technology to the students, when the REAL solution is to train and hire great teachers who love teaching, and pay them a good salary! Who cares what medium is used for the coursework?

drhowarddrfine
02-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Exactly!

gamerflex
03-04-2010, 05:16 AM
For some reason I think ipad sucks

Jmart285
03-06-2010, 12:29 PM
i doubt it will be used in school like that, i could be wrong tho

drhowarddrfine
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Did you guys see the iPad TV commercials at the Oscar's last night?

Fumigator
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Ever since Al Gore won academy awards for that silly pseudo-documentary of his, the whole award show lost all credibility and I can't stomach even 10 seconds of a promo for it, much less the actual farce. (Though, I heard Baldwin and Martin had good chemistry which would have been fun to see)

So... Apple is advertising? Weird. :p

metathirteen
03-09-2010, 01:23 AM
i dont know about everybody else but, i just love the feel of a real book. plus everything in history theres been some kinda documentation showing we existed. some physical kinda evidence. egyptians carving stone tablets, scrolls, books, then ebook readers came along... 1 time we had a storm and the power was out all over town for 2 weeks straight. after the batteries died in my laptop and nintendo ds i had NOTHING. we had to cook mashed potatos on my bbq grill -.- i dont see ebook readers as the future of books. i mean yea its really convenient having all your books in 1 place thats light weight and what not. but unless the battery is charged, thats all your books gone in an instant =/.

EDIT:
ipad sucks
ipad = big'ol ipod touch

drhowarddrfine
03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
ipad sucks
ipad = big'ol ipod touch
Stephen Fry, who was at the intro and used one, said (http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/#more-1965) he's heard people say that but those are people who never used or held one. He says, the iPad is revolutionary.

I know there will be many who have already taken one look and pronounced it to be nothing but a large iPhone and something of a disappointment. I have heard these voices before.

...iPad 1.0 is a John the Baptist preparing the way of what is to come, but also like iPhone 1.0 (and Jokanaan himself too come to that) iPad 1.0 is still fantastic enough in its own right to be classed as a stunningly exciting object, one that you will want NOW and one that will not be matched this year by any company.

But believe me the iPad is here to stay and nothing will be quite the same again.

brad211987
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I have extremely mixed feelings on the IPad. On the one hand, it's really a cool device. But on the other hand, I can't come up with a single reason to use it over other, more flexible, and cheaper devices.

If Apple could give me just one good reason to use and spend the money on it over the set of devices I already have, then I'm onboard. The phone is more mobile, the netbooks are more powerful and flexible and the IPad seems just somewhere in between. Nice to look at, and a great display of technology, but no practical use in my book yet. Looking forward to whats next though.

Apostropartheid
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't understand apple's motive with it. It's cheap and pretty, but typing on it is likely to be a nightmare (it doesn't even have a flat back) and its multitasking limitation means that you may as well buy a laptop. A laptop is at least practical to take outside the home.

drhowarddrfine
03-09-2010, 05:17 PM
But on the other hand, I can't come up with a single reason to use it over other, more flexible, and cheaper devices.

Is it really less flexible and more expensive? Can you find a notebook/netbook for less than $500 with a touchscreen on a large panel and software built in that does the same thing?

Fumigator
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
If Apple could give me just one good reason to use and spend the money on it over the set of devices I already have, then I'm onboard

Because.. it's made by ~~~Apple~~~ ! As all proper fanboys of Apple know, that is reason enough! Nevermind the fact that tablet PCs have been available for years and were a big flop with consumers... just that Apple flair(TM) is enough!!

oracleguy
03-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Because.. it's made by ~~~Apple~~~ ! As all proper fanboys of Apple know, that is reason enough! Nevermind the fact that tablet PCs have been available for years and were a big flop with consumers... just that Apple flair(TM) is enough!!
Exactly!!! And anyone that doesn't like it is a Microsoft apologist and can be ignored. If only have an iPhone you aren't going to be cool anymore, you have to have an iPad. Which is one of the main reasons it will sell. :D

Seriously though, I'll go play with one at the Apple store when they come out but I am in the same boat as Brad. I don't see it offering enough usefulness to justify the price if you already have a smartphone and/or a laptop or netbook.

Raikiri
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I think its definitely the right way to go, funny how people used to write on slates in the early 1900's and we're going back to a high tech version of slates now.

There are advantages and disadvantages but I think the former outweighs the latter. Things like flash games could be somehow disabled while in school (no doubt someone would be able to find a way around it).

tfit
03-23-2010, 08:25 AM
And let us not forget Apple has there one movie format. I understand why they're reluctant to support flash. They may not take on the book industry, but certainly the movie industry.

drhowarddrfine
03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
This (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2010/tc20100323_888275.htm) is the third article over the last two days I've seen regarding the uptake of the iPad. It just may be the big hit some people are saying it will be.

VIPStephan
03-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, weíll see when they smash their iPad in the next corner full of hate because itís so impractical to type while driving or riding the subway (standing, due to rush hour).

drhowarddrfine
03-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Do you type on your notebook while driving? That's illegal in parts of the US, even on phones.

Fumigator
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Do you type on your notebook while driving? That's illegal in parts of the US, even on phones.

I'm pretty sure every state has laws against distracted driving, and if I were a bettin' man I'd bet most every 1st world nation likewise has laws against distracted driving...

Who bloody types while driving anyway?!?!? :mad:

VIPStephan
03-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I’m sure some of these so-called “consultants” (with jobs of which nobody knows what they actually are about) that pretend to be ever so busy would even work while they are driving (of course only if everybody can see how busy they are). The only question would be why it has to be an iPad unless it’s just for their ego.

drhowarddrfine
03-24-2010, 06:32 PM
The only question would be why it has to be an iPad unless it’s just for their ego.
Because it's cheaper than any touchscreen notebook and will probably have apps geared toward the multitouch feature making it easier to use.

oracleguy
03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Because it's cheaper than any touchscreen notebook and will probably have apps geared toward the multitouch feature making it easier to use.
ASUS has started selling netbook tablets with multitouch as well. The T91MT and the T101MT I believe. I also remember seeing a Lenovo multitouch tablet. The last I saw of the T91MT, it was selling for just under $500. I've used the T91 a little, it is pretty cool but I don't know how good it is long term. I was able to click around in Windows 7 without any real difficulty using the screen.

I would suspect there will be a wave of multitouch tablets coming onto the market now because of the iPad. Which is good, it will help drive the price down.

Fumigator
03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Still, it's got to have a killer app... what is that going to be I wonder? Without this, Apple won't be able to widen the appeal beyond the Apple fanboys. I scanned the article drdr linked to and the functions they mentioned "business" people will be using this thing for are email on-the-go, taking notes on-the-go, and drawing flowcharts in meetings. The iwork software they mentioned might be the killer app, but still doesn't really provide anything "killer".

tfit
03-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Still, it's got to have a killer app... what is that going to be I wonder? Without this, Apple won't be able to widen the appeal beyond the Apple fanboys. I scanned the article drdr linked to and the functions they mentioned "business" people will be using this thing for are email on-the-go, taking notes on-the-go, and drawing flowcharts in meetings. The iwork software they mentioned might be the killer app, but still doesn't really provide anything "killer".

They already have Itunes/Istore

oracleguy
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
They already have Itunes/Istore

As useful as some people find that, I wouldn't call it a killer app. I doubt many people would buy an iPad specifically because of iTunes.

tfit
03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
As useful as some people find that, I wouldn't call it a killer app. I doubt many people would buy an iPad specifically because of iTunes.
Don't get my wrong i don't own any Apple product, but i like to have an ipad to watch movies. That's why i consider the Istore as application

VIPStephan
03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Don't get my wrong i don't own any Apple product, but i like to have an ipad to watch movies.

And what makes the iPad stand apart from any other laptop in this respect except that you canít watch movies without buying them from the App store before?

tfit
03-26-2010, 07:37 AM
And what makes the iPad stand apart from any other laptop in this respect except that you can’t watch movies without buying them from the App store before?
Exactly that there is a service as Itunes. Imagine this: you program via rss your downloads to your Ipad. That sounds compelling to me.

drhowarddrfine
03-26-2010, 12:57 PM
CBS will begin streaming their shows via HTML5/Video, no flash, soon. The link is on their web site but it doesn't work yet.

drhowarddrfine
03-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Link (http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/59068)

Investors are already betting iPad sales will exceed the other frenzy seen two years ago, when Apple sold 1.12 million iPhones during its first complete quarter of sales. In fact, in a little less than a year iPad unit sales are expected to exceed the estimated 3 million Kindles that have sold to date.

sentril
04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think that will happen in the near future but 20-30 years from now everything will be on some type of ipadish device.

drhowarddrfine
04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't think that will happen in the near future but 20-30 years from now everything will be on some type of ipadish device.

I'm reading that the first delivery of iPads are sold out.

Fumigator
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking this flexible display technology is going to be the next big thing. We'll probably be seeing touch devices as thin as a credit card pretty soon.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/hp_and_asu_show_flexible_electronic_displays

You can never tell what people will be attracted to though. I thought that display-in-your-glasses would catch on like wildfire but it never really did. Maybe because it's too hard to interact with? dunno.

drhowarddrfine
04-02-2010, 01:14 AM
All full-time students to receive iPad (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10471690-17.html) beginning this fall.

Apostropartheid
04-02-2010, 01:42 AM
That just wouldn't fly over here. Tuition fees are amazingly high as it is.

Fumigator
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
That is pretty funny. Seton Hall charges $30,770 for tuition (I think that's for an entire academic year-- at least I hope it is) so a couple of gadgets won't even be a blip on the radar (I'm sure Apple will give them a near-cost deal).

Now for the funny part--

full-time students will receive an iPad tablet device in an effort to boost learning ability and technical know-how

Much to the iPod Touch's credit, my 3 year-old mastered the interface in an hour. There's simply no technical know-how to be gained from this type of interface. I mean, it's really a compliment to the engineers at Apple-- what a great design. But let's not pretend these students are going to gain any geek-level proficiency here. Besides-- the generation going into college in 2010 have grown up with cell phones/texting in their hands (well at least in ubiquity) almost from birth-- iPads aren't going to be a startling technological leap for any of them.

Just think-- 18 year-olds don't remember a world without the internet. Weird. (tangent)

drhowarddrfine
04-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Don't know about the "learning ability and technical know-how" but apparently Seton Hall will have their IT set up for better student access to online materials, books, etc. for the iPad, according to CBS News last night.

Fumigator
04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
That would be cool, if students could circumvent the text book racket via online materials... anything that brings down that industry is a good thing.

drhowarddrfine
04-02-2010, 07:40 PM
the text book racket
Yep .

drhowarddrfine
04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
CNET hands on review of the iPad (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20001505-243.html)

Whatever you need to tell yourself to buy an iPad, we can safely say the device is a worthwhile addition to any wired home. We don't give much weight to the pundits who say that the iPad is the future of the personal computer, but we think it's the most entertaining gadget we'll see all year.

Apostropartheid
04-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I like CNET's reviews, they're generally quite accurate. Gawker's coverage is frothing at the mouth about how it's going to replace computers or something ridiculous like that. I really want to get my hands on one though because I still haven't worked out how to type on it!

drhowarddrfine
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
It has an onscreen touch keyboard.

Apostropartheid
04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Lol yeah I figured, doc, I meant a comfortable typing position. I'd have to lean over and tap on my jeans or something, which I don't fancy too much.

VIPStephan
04-03-2010, 04:29 AM
What I don’t like about the iPad is that it’s a closed environment. It’s only made to make you buy stuff (unless you’re able to program applications yourself, maybe). In their ad they pretend that you have all freedom of the world and that it adapts to you rather than you having to adapt to it but actually it’s exactly just that. You have no choice: if you wanna use it to any extent other than basic functionality you have to pay.

brad211987
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
What I donít like about the iPad is that itís a closed environment. Itís only made to make you buy stuff (unless youíre able to program applications yourself, maybe). In their ad they pretend that you have all freedom of the world and that it adapts to you rather than you having to adapt to it but actually itís exactly just that. You have no choice: if you wanna use it to any extent other than basic functionality you have to pay.

You hit the mark exactly for me. I think I'd be lined up to buy it right now if it had a more android-style open platform. One of the best features of my android phone is that I can do whatever I want with it, including placing my own apps on it. Apple makes it quite difficult to experience that sort of freedom with their devices. Admittedly, their general target market simply doesn't care to have that degree of freedom, and thats why these things are already selling out.

drhowarddrfine
04-03-2010, 03:40 PM
What I donít like about the iPad is that itís a closed environment. Itís only made to make you buy stuff (unless youíre able to program applications yourself, maybe). In their ad they pretend that you have all freedom of the world and that it adapts to you rather than you having to adapt to it but actually itís exactly just that. You have no choice: if you wanna use it to any extent other than basic functionality you have to pay.

That's why I hate cellphones. It's a closed environment. They make you think you have all the freedom in the world but you have to buy plans for that rather than the phone adapting to you. You have no choice.

An iPad is not a notebook computer.

VIPStephan
04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh boy… A cell phone is a cell phone. For me at least. I’m using it to call people and maybe write text messages.
A computer is a computer. I’m using it to work with it or play a game occasionally, and to browse the internet. I can use it in any way I like.

The iPad is nothing else than a “consumption gadget”. A certainly beautiful interface that is only made, however, to subtly direct you to the app store for anything you wanna do with it. You spend money without even noticing it because it’s so simple to use and beautiful. And Apple – not you – controls your life if you don’t watch out.

drhowarddrfine
04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
A computer is a computer. Iím using it to work with it or play a game occasionally, and to browse the internet.As with the iPad sans games.

A certainly beautiful interface that is only made, however, to subtly direct you to the app store for anything you wanna do with it.Yeah, that'll flop just like the iPhone.
And Apple Ė not you Ė controls your life if you donít watch out.First it was Google, now it's Apple. You guys.

drhowarddrfine
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Kinda funny as Apple employees high-five first iPad user at a mall in my area.
http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/t4_ipadstore.jpg
Story at St. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/B2B4E3246D3B97E9862576FA00563A85?OpenDocument)
That store is in the same mall as one of my restaurants. I'll have to check it out.

Fumigator
04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I think I may have just found my killer app for the iPad:

http://periodictable.com/ipad/preview/index.html

I've been a big fan of Theodore Gray and his massive wooden periodic table (it's an actual table with little drawers in it to store samples of every element) so when I saw that he has converted his marvelous collection of elements to an iPad app I immediately became interested in getting an iPad. I'm actually going to hold out in hopes he creates an "app" for PCs. (He's probably locked into some ludicrous licensing agreement with Apple though)

Minkey
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I used to attend a lot of meetings. I took a pen and paper, then later I would type up the minutes of the meeting. I often wasted about 30 minutes doing this. If only I could have done the minutes during the meeting instead of duplicating. I considered getting tablet computer but back then they were about £1400 and they weren't that good. Now, with the iPad, it may be possible. It is certainly much cheaper and enjoyable to use. From here, tablets will only get better and better. How long it takes before they take over pen and paper in schools, I wonder...

nick1988
04-15-2010, 01:38 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8620195.stm

:-)

drhowarddrfine
04-15-2010, 02:34 PM
My son and his girlfriend will be visiting the Apple store today. Both will decide if they will buy one.

oracleguy
04-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I have gotten to use an iPad for a while and I thought the screen was pretty nice. The keyboard on the iPad is better than I thought it would be but I don't think I would want to have to type super long blocks of text on it. And for some reason it felt heavier than I thought it would be.

It is a cool device but I still don't have a use for one right now so I won't be buying one.

Apostropartheid
04-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm annoyed both that UK prices haven't been announced and they've pushed back the release date AGAIN. I do hate it when international markets are simply ignored like this.

drhowarddrfine
04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
And for some reason it felt heavier than I thought it would be.That's interesting. My son said it was only a pound and a half? Much lighter than a notebook but were you comparing it to the Mac Air? That's pretty light from when I saw it at Best Buy.

It is a cool device but I still don't have a use for one right now so I won't be buying one.
He wasn't interested till he found out the price and how light it was. He originally thought they'd be at $2K and the same weight as a notebook. He wants to use it for school but hates lugging around a notebook.

This is one of those things he has to save up for on his own. He works at our restaurants but was hit by a drunk driver last month and had a back injury so he can't bend/twist/lift which means he can't work. (Yes, we're suing the b**h. Totaled my car.)

oracleguy
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
That's interesting. My son said it was only a pound and a half? Much lighter than a notebook but were you comparing it to the Mac Air? That's pretty light from when I saw it at Best Buy.

No just when I saw it, for some reason it felt heavier than I thought it would feel. And compared to a netbook it doesn't feel that much lighter, obviously it is but that was just my point of view.

He wants to use it for school but hates lugging around a notebook.

If all he uses it for is taking notes, it will do the job fairly well. But he should try and type for a while on one in the Apple store first, some people don't like the keyboard on there, especially if you need to type fast.

drhowarddrfine
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Just read about a guy who saw the iPad last night and also said it was heavier than he expected but my son came back and said it was as light as he thought but definitely not as heavy as a notebook. He asked the same thing, if you were comparing it to the Air. Then he said you were crazy. :) I said you were crazy, too.

He tried typing on it. He said he didn't mind the keyboard. Tried typing fast and only made one error.

The Apple store had 10-15 iPads laying out for people to try. He played with it for about 15 minutes with no salespeople bothering him.

The only thing preventing him from buying one is the 3G vs wifi option. Wifi isn't always available but 3G costs $15/month (no-contract) and the 3G model costs $130 more. If it weren't for that, he would have come home with one last night.

drhowarddrfine
04-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Just got back from the Apple store. I had not been there in a long time. Apple is just too cool.

There were about 20 iPads laying out and every one in use by someone, including me. It is nowhere near the weight of a notebook.

The interface is different and the glass-ish surface took some getting used to. I felt my fingers sliding across the surface like they were on ice. The keyboard is just a skosh too small but, again, I think I could get used to it. I did tend to want to rest my hands on the surface which messes things up.

I felt like I should be moving things around and it was a bit exciting but I didn't know what I was doing. I felt out of my element and that would prevent me from buying one immediately but, again, I thought this was something I could get used to.

Then I slid down to the iPhone where I felt the same way. It had the same feel to it and a similar interface. It was fun to look up the restaurant I own in the same mall and see how well it worked on it and the iPad. (Works well but buttons too small on the iPhone.)

There must have been 80 people in this store and more constantly going in and out, many congregating around the iPad. I know they sold one to someone giving it to their daughter for graduation.

I was equally impressed with the notebooks, the new mouse and these very stylish keyboards. I didn't think I would like the mouse but I loved them, as did my very picky son.

btw, he's decided he's buying an iPad once he gets back to work in a few weeks.

tfit
04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Ok, who has one? I decided when it comes to europe i'm getting on. That aside does anyone have experience with creating apps for the Ipad; How steep is the learning curve?

drhowarddrfine
04-20-2010, 04:31 AM
It happened. He ordered the iPad 3G today. Should be shipped before the end of the month. He believes it will eliminate his need for a backpack for school.

VIPStephan
04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Just got back from the Apple store. I had not been there in a long time. Apple is just too cool. [Ö]

You should listen to yourself. I thought as critical as youíre about Microsoft you would be a little better than that. But youíre falling for the same things, only that itís Apple.

drhowarddrfine
04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. I can like the ambiance and style even if I don't care for the product. I already said I'd have to get used to the iPad, meaning I'm not sure I would find it useful for me. My son believes it will be enormously so. He bought one. I didn't.

Or, perhaps, my other comments about Microsoft's penchant for showing pretty, blinking lights instead of useful technology. Apple is stylishly cool and hip. Microsoft can be stylish in their application interface design but 'cool and hip' they are not. For example, walk into any Apple store. Then walk into any Microsoft....er....uh....Best Buy.

Apostropartheid
04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Don't they have a cafť in Paris? I'd have to visit next time I'm there. I think I'd honestly prefer that to an Apple Store; I always feel dirty when going in one.

How's your son finding it, drdr, or hasn't he had ample time to play with it?

drhowarddrfine
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Won't ship till the end of the month. Twice he went to the store and spent a lot of time with it. He feels he can eliminate everything in his backpack with it.

NBK*Twitch
04-21-2010, 03:44 AM
I doubt it. I find computers will take over if anything. Oh wait they have. Ever since I was in the 1st grade 80% of the things we did was through computers.

VIPStephan
04-21-2010, 03:49 AM
You can call yourself a “digital native” then. I don’t know if I should congratulate you for that, though.

NBK*Twitch
04-21-2010, 03:57 AM
You can call yourself a ďdigital nativeĒ then. I donít know if I should congratulate you for that, though.

Well it isn't something to be proud of anyway. Heck back in the 80's and before it was all done by hand. Which I have done aswell. Mostly in middle school where they felt a computer is not needed.

VIPStephan
04-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Just make sure that you’re not relying on airplane travel alone in case a volcano is erupting and blocking all air traffic. ;)

NBK*Twitch
04-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Just make sure that youíre not relying on airplane travel alone in case a volcano is erupting and blocking all air traffic. ;)

I am to scared of heights to fly anyways ;).

Zethix
04-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I can see school books going fully electronic at some point, due to environmental reasons, and cost and convenience factors. I'm not convinced that the iPad will be the vehicle of choice for that, but time will tell.

oracleguy
04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I am rather curious to see how the textbook publishers deal with the rise of ebooks. If they'll go the route of the RIAA and resist it at all costs or try and leverage the new market. I'd almost think they would embrace it because then they could through DRM kill the used book market. Not that I think that is a good thing.

Does anyone know how many actual school textbooks are available in ebook form?

Though using an ebook for school would be the end of open book tests since your iPad or whatever has Internet access on it.

drhowarddrfine
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Seton Hall is giving away iPads to every new student beginning this semester with an eye toward everything being online.

My son said he sat next to a girl at his university who had a Kindle. She said all her textbooks were on it. He has not had a chance to look for his textbooks online yet.

Fumigator
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I read my the latest MaximumPC about a Wiki textbook program Macmillan (some textbook publisher I think) is starting.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/macmillan_intros_dynamicbooks_etextbooks_wikistyle_customizable

This may be the future of textbooks... (The part where used book sales are blamed for the high price of textbooks made me want to barf)

drhowarddrfine
04-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Thoughts from a user at Fox News
The iPad one week later. (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/09/apple-ipad-one-week-later/)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum