...

View Full Version : FREE! RGB to HEX Converter.



Morgoth
04-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Hello everyone.
I was really bored today, and since I was playing around with RGB values and changing them to hex numbers today as I was teaching HTML to beginers, I didn't have any programs on the computer to change RGB to Hex instantly. All I could use what mspaint and a calculator.

I had a converter myself at my house which I downloaded off the internet, but the sad, and funny thing is, the program that I open up didn't show itself in the taskmanager at all, so what I had to do is lower all my windows to get it again if I accidently let it fall behind.

Now since I didn't want to go out looking for another that I would have no clue what problems it might have, I decided to make my own.

It's Free, Easy, and no installing.

The only problem I see is possible glitches, but only glitches if you hit the wrong keys on your keyboard. I am sure I got them all, but you never know!

Even if you already have a converter, why not download mine and tell me what you think, you might just want to use this one instead!

This converter, converts RGB to Hex, and Hex to RGB, it also allows you to adjust the colour by 3 horizontal scroll bars to get it just right.

SOON TO BE ADDED: EyeDropper to take RGB values straight from your screen.

Screen shot v2.2:
http://24.226.62.28/-/images/HCC-SS.png

***NOTICE:
VERSION 2.2 NOW ADDED!
Newer versions of the program replace the old ones below.

Mhtml
04-26-2003, 02:46 PM
I think I should shove this off into the general web forum, but firtly I have a question!

What did you make that with? Did you do it in VB or do you actually know C\C++ ? That said if it's either of the later mention can I have the source to play around with?

redhead
04-26-2003, 04:07 PM
thats pretty handy. although i usually use one built into psp... you never know when you will need to convert rgb into hex... ;)

nicely done :thumbsup:

Morgoth
04-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Mhtml
I think I should shove this off into the general web forum, but firtly I have a question!

What did you make that with? Did you do it in VB or do you actually know C\C++ ? That said if it's either of the later mention can I have the source to play around with?

The funny thing is, it was first posted in "General web building", and I asked cg9com (he was on at the time) to move it over, because I think it would do alot more damage when people see it in the "HTML & CSS" forum.

I accually made this in VB, I don't know C++ yet, and I think of all peopl, you should of known that :p but yeah, I could of learn C++ over the last few days and made this as a test program...



Originally posted by redhead
thats pretty handy. although i usually use one built into psp... you never know when you will need to convert rgb into hex... ;)

nicely done :thumbsup:

Thank you, but that reason I made this is because alot of people do use PSP or other LARGE programs to get hex values or change back to RGB...

Oh that's right, I forgot to mention, it also changes HEX values into RGB values!

On my 266mhz, it takes along time to load Photoshop, so there is no way I will use it. This is why I like using smaller, dedicated programs!

Mhtml
04-26-2003, 05:46 PM
C++ in a few days? Not likely.

jkd
04-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Mhtml
C++ in a few days? Not likely.

C++ isn't difficult at all... took me but a few hours of trying to learn it to feel comfortable with all the core language concepts. Learning MFC on the other hand to write a GUI app... I haven't tried doing that yet.

Morgoth
04-26-2003, 08:33 PM
So far, I found two problems with the program.

1) Something that wouldn't effect you that much, but when you highlight a number in one of the RGB textboxes, and you write in a new number, the 6 colour panels get take effect right away. (I fixed it)

2) You cannot use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X, or Ctrl+Z in all 4 text boxes. (I am trying to fix it now)


When all the problems are fixed, I will release this program again.

Mhtml
04-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by jkd
C++ isn't difficult at all... took me but a few hours of trying to learn it to feel comfortable with all the core language concepts. Learning MFC on the other hand to write a GUI app... I haven't tried doing that yet.

I meant learning C++ enough to be able to write that program ... well at least it would be for me, I've been learning C for about a week now and I don't think that C++ could be that easy to be able to program a gui in that time .... . or is it?

jkd
04-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Mhtml
I meant learning C++ enough to be able to write that program ... well at least it would be for me, I've been learning C for about a week now and I don't think that C++ could be that easy to be able to program a gui in that time .... . or is it?

Learning C++ and learning GUI frameworks are different... writing a program like that would require a knowledge of MFC, which isn't something I think you can feel comfortable in within a few hours.

krycek
04-27-2003, 01:22 AM
This is what I use:

http://www.greeneclipsesoftware.com/eclipsepalette.html

EclipsePalette from Green Eclipse Software :)

It's excellent - loads of features, tiny footprint etc.

And best of all, it's FREE :D

::] krycek [::

PS - Mhtml - why move this into General Web? :confused: Surely it belongs somewhere in graphics&multimedia/html&css? (I have no idea where it started off).

Nightfire
04-27-2003, 03:12 AM
I guess it's moved here coz many ppl will need this program... whether using html and/or graphics ;)

Nice program by the looks of the screenshot, although I can't use it as I use linux :( unless vb works with linux, somehow - I'm a linux newbie and linux lover ;)

Morgoth
04-27-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by krycek
EclipsePalette from Green Eclipse Software :)

This is why I made this program, and use this program... I think having to install a program that takes up more then 1 mb on your computer just to get a colour for your html programs is a little too big.

My method is usually to take a screen shot of a colour I want, paste it in MsPaint, select the colour with the eyedroper, and find out the RGB values.. once I do that, I can type them into this program to adjust the colours a little bit, and get the HEX value.



Maybe in version 3.0 of this program, I can make an eye droper... I don't think it will be hard if I find a tutorial, and look all over my computer for the icon, or mouse icon of that little eyedroper in MSPaint. ;)

Well, I also fixed the 2 problems I had before! It didn't take any time at all, but then I found another little bug that I didn't see before, and it took a little too long for me to do it, but I did it...

All should be well, and I will new release version 2.0 of HCC.

The new version of HCC replaced the old one at the top of this topic.

*I also changed the title to have the american spelling for colour. (Removed the "u")

Morgoth
04-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Version 2.2 now released.

2 bugs fixed:

After release of v2.0, when you write in your own hex number, the Red (R) value is visibly unaffected.
The hex number textbox didn't fit maximum amount of text. (Example: 6 "D"s didn't show up together, it only showed 5 of the 6.)


Current known bugs:

*NONE*


Features in the make:

EyeDropper to select colours from pixels anywhere on your screen.

krycek
04-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Morgoth
This is why I made this program, and use this program... I think having to install a program that takes up more then 1 mb on your computer just to get a colour for your html programs is a little too big.

:confused: eh??? :confused:

It's 150Kb... that's waaaay small enough to satisfy me!

::] krycek [::

Morgoth
04-28-2003, 01:03 AM
150KB?

OMG THAT'S HUGE!!! Twice the size of my Primary Hard Drive!!

F.N.G.
04-28-2003, 01:46 AM
That's a nice little application; thank you for sharing it.

There are some scrolling features missing that might make it even easier to use:

1. The way the numerical values change, visibly, when the arrows are used to scroll, doesn't happen when the scroll-handles are used: it would be nice if that occurred.

2. An additional scrollbar that controls the other three scrollbars would also be useful.

3. Lastly, a scrollTo behavior--for when the scrollbar base is clicked--would be great.

The dropper,of course, would be the most useful addition. (Iconico (http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/) might be worth looking at for ideas).

Good work, thanks again!

Morgoth
04-28-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by F.N.G.

1. The way the numerical values change, visibly, when the arrows are used to scroll, doesn't happen when the scroll-handles are used: it would be nice if that occurred.

Please clarify, I am not sure what you mean.

Originally posted by F.N.G.

2. An additional scrollbar that controls the other three scrollbars would also be useful.

Being able to pull all three scroll bars by a fourth scroll bar? I will try it, and it does sound like something that will be helpful. Might not be something very important.

Originally posted by F.N.G.

3. Lastly, a scrollTo behavior--for when the scrollbar base is clicked--would be great.

You want to be able to click on the scroller base and jump more then one, because the arrows already go by one.
I will add that... How much should it be? 10? That sounds about right.

Originally posted by F.N.G.

The dropper,of course, would be the most useful addition. (Iconico (http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/) might be worth looking at for ideas).

I was thinking about something like that, but I really decided to not go that far... I don't see the point of magnifing to get just a single pixel. I will show the colour you are over, but I am not going to show you a magnification of the surounding area...

F.N.G.
04-28-2003, 07:39 AM
Please clarify, I am not sure what you mean.
When an arrow is pressed with the mouse, both the input-values and the color change, visually--as the scrolling takes place.

On the other hand, when a scrollbar-handle is dragged with the mouse, the input-values & color remain static--until the dragging has stopped.


How much should it be? 10?
I was thinking: to whatever the x-position is--for the mouse-pointer--when scroll-base is clicked. (I don't know if that's possible, though.)


I don't see the point of magnifing to get just a single pixel.
I agree, and just thought their code might be an example to work from, for the dropper. ;)

------------------------------------

Also...

Instead of a fourth scrollbar, perhaps a checkbox that toggles whether the 3 existing scrollbars scroll together would be an easier & more compact implimentation?

-------------------------------------

Kang He
04-28-2003, 10:23 AM
You might want to have a look at Pixie (http://download.com.com/3000-2189-8830880.html).

F.N.G.
04-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Pixie is ok, Kang He, but Morgoth's GUI is far superior, and using the mouse is much faster, for me, than fiddling with keyboard-shortcuts.

Morgoth
04-28-2003, 01:19 PM
I hate having to install programs that do something as simple as this.

FNG, I think it's possible for number 1, I will have to do some reasearch on how it will work. For number 2, it sounds like something I will have to also look up, if I can find it, and it's possible, I just might add it. If not, I think 10 is a good amount to have it jump by. FNG, for number 3, what you do mean their code? I don't see a place to view their source code at, and it might not be made in VB.

Well, I will continue to work on it, and I will release version 3.0 with the eyedropper, and whatever I think it needs.

Until then, I think this version is stable enough to use... But if you see ANY bugs please tell me so I can fix them.

F.N.G.
04-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Sorry about that, I don't have any experience with VB, and was assuming that programmers could view each other's source code, as is possible in web-scripting; my mistake. :D

Tails
04-28-2003, 07:55 PM
I want to start making programs too. I have a useless C++ compiler that doesn't recognize paths from its own config file (DevC++). But where can I find tutorials on C++? It's a language, right? Is it all humanly understandable? I've seen so much junk in some source files that were about the windows gui and no tutorial on earth says what that stuff is. I just want to learn. I've already made successful javascript pages of games and converters using graphics too. But javascript has its limitations. I'm a fast learner and have my share of experience with javascript, someone please help me get started on C++ please?

Morgoth
04-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by F.N.G.
Sorry about that, I don't have any experience with VB, and was assuming that programmers could view each other's source code, as is possible in web-scripting; my mistake. :D

Well, if that program is made in VB, I could ask him on how to do the eydropper, but I will figure it out if I hack at it.

<edit>
About that 4th scroll bar... I think I will add that, because I see what you mean.. It will change the colour pitch, from bright to dark. I will have to figure out how to make it work correctly, but It will be a good tool...
</edit>


Originally posted by Tails
I want to start making programs too. I have a useless C++ compiler that doesn't recognize paths from its own config file (DevC++). But where can I find tutorials on C++? It's a language, right? Is it all humanly understandable? I've seen so much junk in some source files that were about the windows gui and no tutorial on earth says what that stuff is. I just want to learn. I've already made successful javascript pages of games and converters using graphics too. But javascript has its limitations. I'm a fast learner and have my share of experience with javascript, someone please help me get started on C++ please?

This program in in VB and not C++. This means I will most likely not be able to help you, BUT!
I think you should ask this question in the "Computer Programming" Forum.. They know C++ in there, and they will be very glad to help you out. Just start up a new thread asking for tutorials on how to get started in C++ (if that's what you need)

Morgoth
04-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Version 2.4 Completed, but not Released.
Newest release will be version 3.0 which will start in a new thread and get a mod to make it a sticky and lock it.
All comments for it will continue to be in this thread.

Additions (1):

Scroll bar jumps a value of 10 when scroll bar base is clicked.


Bugs Fixed (1):

When RGB value equals 1, and you move the scrollbar to make the RGB value 0, it now goes down to 0, and doesn't stay at 1


Current known bugs:

*NONE*


Features to be added:

EyeDropper to select colours from pixels anywhere on your screen.
A foruth Scroll bar that will control the birghtness and darkness of the colour you pick.



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum