View Full Version : Reading Most Recent CSV File in Directory

02-19-2010, 12:27 AM
I thought I had wrapped this project up, but found out that the program I use to FTP a csv file to my website is best used in time stamp mode.

That is, each day a newly named csv file is uploaded with that days data.

I currently have this script that I use to display the data on my website:

echo "<table align='left' width='685' bordercolor='ccc' border='1'>";
echo "<tr><td><strong>Date</strong></td><td><strong>MPSAS</strong></td><td><strong>NELM</strong></td><td><strong>Temp (C)</strong></td></td>";
$file = "myfile.csv";
for ($i = count($content) - 1; $i >=1 ; $i--) {
$row = explode(",", $content[$i]);
echo "<tr><td>{$row[0]}</td><td>{$row[1]}</td><td>{$row[2]}</td><td>{$row[7]}</td></td>";}echo "</table>";

To read the most recent file I know I need to list the dir contents, sort, and then select the newest file, but I need some help getting started.

Anyone have experience with that is willing to help me out?

02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Check out the readdir manual page for the basic code for opening, reading and outputting directory contents:

to do the sort, load the filenames into an array instead of printing them immediately, then sort the array and output from it e.g. (untested)

if ($handle = opendir('/path/to/files')) {
$arrFiles = array();
while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
$arrFiles[] = $file;

This assumes that the file name will self-sort into correct order. If not you may need to customise the sort using usort() or similar.

02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
My 5 cents (does not address the question but only the code posted): The method you are using for reading and parsing a CSV file does not take into account several rules which the CSV format implies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values#Basic_Rules). Also on big files (if you ever have some) file() could be quite memory consuming. I would advise to look at the Manual entry for fgetcsv() (http://us.php.net/fgetcsv) and use this function for reading/parsing a CSV file. It should be much more CSV-format complaint than the method used by you currently.

02-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Sort files by last modified time in descending order:

$files = glob( './files/*.csv' );

array_map( 'filemtime', $files ),

The first file in the array will be the newest, and so on down the list to the last one being the oldest.