PDA

View Full Version : Best PHP IDE/editor for newbie?

PonchoX
02-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Hi.

What's the best PHP IDE/editor for a PHP newbie?

I have Dreamweaver (for XHTML/CSS).

I noticed Komodo Edit is free. Any good? It also supports many other scripting languages.

Heard good things about PhpEd, but not sure if it's good for a n00b.

Even heard folks like Netbeans (for PHP).

What say ye?

seco
02-06-2010, 06:27 AM
komodo is good, but i still prefer Eclipse PHP and phpDesigner 7. I use netbeans a lot though. has some nice features.

JAY6390
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I use PHPDesigner 7 myself, and have done for the last couple of years. I've tried all the open source IDE's but nothing compares to PHPD in my opinion

hinch
02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
i use dreamweaver on windows and netbeans on my unix system

callpri
06-21-2016, 04:42 PM
I use and like Codelobster

Vege
06-22-2016, 01:17 AM
Netbeans
Komodo is ok but handles only utf8 files.

tangoforce
06-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Notepad++ for php code. Ok it lacks advanced features like code insight but it's the most advanced text editor i've come across and has tons of plugins (including ftp client.. and when you save, it auto uploads etc). It also works with xdebug so you can trace through your code.

deathshadow
06-23-2016, 04:18 AM
I've never been a big fan of IDE's as they often lag behind the actual language implementation, I find a lot of the things they do prevent me from doing what's important -- editing code -- as they suck down massive amounts of screen space with stupid "panels" that just get in the way, and in terms of debugging if you're complex enough to need to "step through" the code there's likely something wrong with the entire methodology/mindset being used to create the code. I'm also not a fan of stuffing everything into one program as it usually just means slower access and piss-poor workflow since everything ends up shoe-horned into one window.

I'm a multiple display user -- I'll usually have editor windows on the left-most display three across (php, html, css), browsers and console on the center display, and references (PHP.NET), social networks (ICQ, AIM, IRC, etc) for talking to clients, FTP and taskbar on the right-most display. I couldn't have these things all spread out before me in such a smooth workflow using some goofy program that shoves it all into one paneled window. I CANNOT emphasize how much going to more than one display can speed up your workflow and make you more productive. ESPECIALLY if you abandon nonsense like tabbed editors. One window PER FILE. You need to manage those windows, that's what you should have a taskbar for. (and a portrait taskbar of 320 or wider helps a lot too if you turn off that "group by program" nonsense)

That is why my ideal environment for coding PHP is a flat text editor with few if any frills. I prefer Flo's Notepad2, but notepad++, editplus, gEdit, TextWranger, Sublime -- all fine and dandy choices. You test your code on an actual server environment using the ACTUAL error logs for diagnosis, test the output on ACTUAL browsers, etc, etc...

Admittedly though, I'm the kook who finds a lot of the things others find helpful -- like tabs, the illegible acid trip known as colour syntax highlighting, live editing over FTP, auto-completion, etc, etc... to all be garbage that either gets in the way, makes me have to work harder, or encourages doing things in a way that should never be done in the first place.

YMMV.

Really the best advice is to just try a bunch of them, and see which works best for YOU. There are dozens if not hundreds of free options to try... so try 'em!

That said, you learn to work from a simple flat text editor, it shouldn't matter what tool you sit down in front of, which is why if you're just learning, I say start with as simple an editor as possible, and avoid tools and frameworks. That way you can learn how to REALLY do things BEFORE you let something try and do it for you... otherwise you won't be qualified to recognize when/if some automated tool or framework is in fact making you the tool.

tangoforce
06-23-2016, 01:31 PM
IDEs are (IMO) for those who do the script and html in the same file... usually mixing the two into one large mashup... which then encourages all sorts of other php programming sins.

HTML and php should be done in seperate programs - end of - again... IMO.

and in terms of debugging if you're complex enough to need to "step through" the code there's likely something wrong with the entire methodology/mindset being used to create the code.

You've never written code that needs debugging? - I find that very hard to believe.

I'm a multiple display user

Bet you also have rather large black eyes for it like me LOL

ESPECIALLY if you abandon nonsense like tabbed editors. One window PER FILE.

But then you end up with a really cluttered up taskbar... so from my POV it's better to have them tabbed... just like browsers. Remember the fuss people made about IE not being tabbed when FF and chrome were?

live editing over FTP

TECHNICALITY ALERT: That doesn't exist. FTP does not support that. It's save and auto upload.

That said, you learn to work from a simple flat text editor

As long as it's able to deal with things like UTF-8, different line endings etc. Notepad++ does but not all of them do.. i've tried some that you would think should handle stuff with ease but you end up having a right old time of it just trying to replace tabs with spaces... Nothing worse than working on someone elses code to find they've been indenting using tabs...

felgall
06-23-2016, 07:43 PM
But then you end up with a really cluttered up taskbar

You must be using an old operating system then. Modern operating systems stack multiple copies of the same program in a single entry in the task bar and simply display the list of all of them when you click on that single entry - less cluttered than tabs in the program itself.

tangoforce
06-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Win 7 isn't that old lol

felgall
06-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Win 7 isn't that old lol

Old enough that mainstream support ended in January 2015 and patch support for that now effectively obsolete operating system ends in January 2020.

Fortunately Microsoft has been extremely nice and still included that old operating system in the ones they allowed to upgrade to the current Windows version free (at least for a couple more weeks).

Even Windows 8.1 is old enough that it only has 18 months of mainstream support left.

Vege
06-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Old enough that mainstream support ended in January 2015 and patch support for that now effectively obsolete operating system ends in January 2020.

Fortunately Microsoft has been extremely nice and still included that old operating system in the ones they allowed to upgrade to the current Windows version free (at least for a couple more weeks).

Even Windows 8.1 is old enough that it only has 18 months of mainstream support left.
Speaking of Windows. How you manage to use it in day to day web development is beyond me. For me as a back end developer its 80% of time looking at Bash and 20% on any IDE. Hardware support is ofcos better than in Linux but It would seem that Mac to be ideal choice between usability and hardware support?
In Windows It seems I would need to use Putty and going trough multiple ssh tunnels with putty is so frustrating.
And I haven't seen FTP server in ages. Someone still uses those?
This is a genuine question and no really a troll attempt.

felgall
06-25-2016, 11:00 PM
For me as a back end developer its 80% of time looking at Bash and 20% on any IDE.

You can do that on the latest Windows (they recently added Bash - so you don't even need to use one of the Windows alternatives any more).

tangoforce
06-26-2016, 02:33 AM

You think I really want the CIA accessing my PC and files at any time they like? Er no!

I have nothing to hide but i don't want them trawling through emails, old documents etc etc etc.

Win7 is a great OS. I'll stick with it and eventually i'll have to consider the *nix route for my personal stuff but keep a WinX machine for general browsing / other people.