PDA

View Full Version : How does your client maintain their site?

YoshiGoneMad
01-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm wondering, what if your client wants to update their website but don't no html?
Is there a software (free) that will make it easier for clients to update their content without seeing all those html markup and css codes?
Anything that's free and easy. :thumbsup:

Excavator
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Hello YoshiGoneMad,
You're looking for a Content Management System. Google CMS.
I'll be waiting right alongside you here to see what the most preferred one is.

YoshiGoneMad
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Hello YoshiGoneMad,

Thanks Excavator.
I found this great site which I can test out each CMS: http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=1&cat=CMS%20/%20Portals
How hard is it to integrate a CMS onto a HTML page or is it the other way around. I have O.K HTML and CSS experience, but does this require I know PHP or Javascript?
Also other than web based CMS, is their an actual software the client can download to update content.

tomws
01-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Is is time for the monthly CMS thread already? I need to put a reminder on my calendar for that, or maybe I can set up a cron job to auto-respond! :D

@Yoshi:
You don't really integrate a CMS into a page. The "S" in CMS is "system". It's an entire system that allows for easy content creation. Wikipedia and a thousand other sites offer full descriptions. Pick one, install it, and play with it. Or just look around on the Open Source CMS site.

You can, however, integrate a WYSIWYG editor into an existing site. Depending upon your skills, that could end up being as hard as migrating to a full-blown CMS.

VIPStephan
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, for a simple start there is a CMS where you kind of integrate your plain HTML sites: CushyCMS (http://cushycms.com). The only disadvantage is that it relies on an external service. But for simple sites and if even the developer hasn’t much experience with PHP etc. this is great.