View Full Version : How does your client maintain their site?

YoshiGoneMad
01-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm wondering, what if your client wants to update their website but don't no html?
Is there a software (free) that will make it easier for clients to update their content without seeing all those html markup and css codes?
Anything that's free and easy. :thumbsup:

Excavator
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Hello YoshiGoneMad,
You're looking for a Content Management System. Google CMS.
I'll be waiting right alongside you here to see what the most preferred one is.

YoshiGoneMad
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Hello YoshiGoneMad,

Thanks Excavator.
I found this great site which I can test out each CMS: http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=1&cat=CMS%20/%20Portals
How hard is it to integrate a CMS onto a HTML page or is it the other way around. I have O.K HTML and CSS experience, but does this require I know PHP or Javascript?
Also other than web based CMS, is their an actual software the client can download to update content.

tomws
01-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Is is time for the monthly CMS thread already? I need to put a reminder on my calendar for that, or maybe I can set up a cron job to auto-respond! :D

@Yoshi:
You don't really integrate a CMS into a page. The "S" in CMS is "system". It's an entire system that allows for easy content creation. Wikipedia and a thousand other sites offer full descriptions. Pick one, install it, and play with it. Or just look around on the Open Source CMS site.

You can, however, integrate a WYSIWYG editor into an existing site. Depending upon your skills, that could end up being as hard as migrating to a full-blown CMS.

VIPStephan
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, for a simple start there is a CMS where you kind of integrate your plain HTML sites: CushyCMS (http://cushycms.com). The only disadvantage is that it relies on an external service. But for simple sites and if even the developer hasn’t much experience with PHP etc. this is great.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum