View Full Version : new to php

ethan1066
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
hi i am a beginner who have just shifted to php..i dont know any thing about the php..do we need any software to run php or they are just executed like the javascripts...please help me i want to start php what dont know how to start ....

oracleguy
01-14-2010, 04:12 PM
I have moved your post from the FAQ to your own thread.

As for your question, yes you need special software installed to run PHP. You need to have PHP installed on your web server because that is where it executes. Unlike javascript which is executed on the client side.

mlseim
01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Ethan ...

If you are dealing with a website and a webhost, like GoDaddy or whatever,
they have PHP installed on their servers, so you use it on your web pages and scripts.
You most likely also have free access to a few MySQL database accounts, and you
then use those with your PHP scripts.

You can't run PHP scripts on your own PC unless you have server software installed,
as Oracleguy says. So you script using Notepad or Notepad++ and upload to your
website to run your scripts. Lots of information and tutorials via Google.

masterofollies
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Buy a domain from a web hosting company that supports PHP. Then you can play with it all day long, they are only around $3.95 a month.

Or else you can get Apache or something server for your computer and software and do it on your desktop.

Len Whistler
01-15-2010, 05:46 AM
I recommend you download and install XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html . It consists of Apache, MySQL, Perl and PHP all pre-configured. Just load your files into the proper directory and make sure it's running. The directory for Linux is: /opt/lampp/htdocs

Using a host to test scripts is too impractical.

EDIT: XAMPP also comes with phpMyAdmin, another huge plus for using XAMPP.

-------

JAY6390
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I have to say I hate phpMyAdmin. And XAMPP is great for those with server experience, but WAMP is more suited to beginners as it allows simple customizations via a context menu with the server icon in the system tray

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum