View Full Version : Whats the diff. Between dl,dd,dt and ul li

zoe20
01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
hi friends i saw a new element in html dl,dl,dd and i would like to know whats these are when to used them an whats the difference between ul li to dl dd, dt please . please explain me with examples please.

abduraooft
01-14-2010, 09:48 AM
<ul> - <li> tags are for making an unordered list, in which the individual list items might not have any relationships among, except they fall under a group. But, <dl> is for making a definition list, where we can have a definition title inside <dt> and one or more definition description, for the above title, inside <dd> tags.
Se the examples at http://www.htmldog.com/reference/htmltags/ul/ and http://htmldog.com/reference/htmltags/dl/

bazz
01-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I just had a thought which may help you (or others), now and later, both in terms of time and computing experience...

an unordered list is like this

<ul>
<li>list item 1</li>
<li>list item 2</li>
</ul>

an ordered list is like this

<ol>
<li>list item 1</li>
<li>list item 2</li>
</ol>

and a definition list (dl) is like this

<dl>
<dt>WORD</dt>
<dd>Meaning</dd>
<dt>DEFINITION</dt>
<dd>If I knew what this word meant, I would place the definition here.</dd>
</dl>

The idea I had was that a list (the first two), are just plain old lists. The last one - the definition list (dl) is an associative list where the <dd> tags are associated with the <dt> tag.

Later in your programming - if you do some - you will hear about arrays(lists) and associative arrays (also known as hashes[in Perl]). These dl and ul are a pretty good visual of arrays and hashes and this might go some way in helping poeple to understand them better/more easily, sooner.

bazz

rnd me
01-15-2010, 03:34 AM
they don't have to be used for definitions.
they are a list of key:value pairs, like fieldset /legend met a list.

i use them extensively for all kinds of things.
a typical example would be as news items on a front page:

<dl class="events">
<dt>item title</dt>
<dd>item text goes here</dd>
</dl>

linehand
01-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Supported in all major browsers too. Right? I mean technically this should be the case but are there any caveats? "Supported" does not necessarily mean they all handle it in exactly the same manner.

oesxyl
01-15-2010, 06:48 AM
they don't have to be used for definitions.
they are a list of key:value pairs, like fieldset /legend met a list.
this in my opinion is a procedural point of view, :)

i use them extensively for all kinds of things.
a typical example would be as news items on a front page:

<dl class="events">
<dt>item title</dt>
<dd>item text goes here</dd>
</dl>

in my opinion this looks more like a div + h1-6 + p structure then a list of definition, glossar of terms and so on,.:)
the content decide what it is and if you use "item title" no mater how short is "item text goes here" look like a paragraph with a title. :)

best regards

oesxyl
01-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Supported in all major browsers too. Right? I mean technically this should be the case but are there any caveats? "Supported" does not necessarily mean they all handle it in exactly the same manner.

http://reference.sitepoint.com/html/elements-list

follow the links for each tag and you will find who support what, :)

it's more or less a opinion but I agree more with abduraooft point of view about this tags.

best regards

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum