View Full Version : xhtml or regular html

onejab
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi Simple question. I want to start webpage design portfolio. Should I tell people I have experience with html or xhtml?

drhowarddrfine
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
If you have experience with html only, tell them html.
If you have experience with xhtml also, tell them both.

Arbitrator
01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Simple question. I want to start webpage design portfolio. Should I tell people I have experience with html or xhtml?Unless you know what the term "XML namespace" means and what the significance of the term "application/xhtml+xml" is, I would only say "HTML". Then again, most people don't even really know much about HTML so it's kind of a toss-up.

IMO, you should have at least skimmed some or all of the relevant official HTML or XHTML specs before claiming to know either. In the case of XHTML, that means *both* specs, since the XHTML specs are based upon the HTML specs, as well as the XML spec that the XHTML spec is derived from. Unlike some of the W3C's other specs, these ones are pretty readable. (Well, the XML spec could use some improvement.)

I would guess that "XHTML" or "HTML and XHTML" is going to sound better to a prospective employer though. Most of them probably don't know the above terms and probably haven't looked at the mentioned specs either.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum