View Full Version : <layer></layer>

cyborg360
01-01-2010, 03:30 AM
wc3 is telling me not to use <layer>. what is the modern replacement for <layer>? I'm assuming it's obsolete.

<layer id="ns4div1" width="'+swidth+'" height="'+sheight+'" onmouseover="sspeed=0;" onmouseout="sspeed=rspeed"></layer>

site (http://users.rcn.com/**************/test66.html).

Arbitrator
01-01-2010, 05:00 AM
wc3 is telling me not to use <layer>. what is the modern replacement for <layer>? I'm assuming it's obsolete.layer used to be used in the 1990s. Try using div and CSS.

drhowarddrfine
01-01-2010, 03:20 PM
In fact, layer was never part of the HTML standard nor did it work in any browser but Netscape, iirc.

@cyborg, from looking at your threads, it appears the book or web site you are learning from is way, way out of date by more than 10 years. You need to be using something much more modern to learn from.

cyborg360
01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
In fact, layer was never part of the HTML standard nor did it work in any browser but Netscape, iirc.

@cyborg, from looking at your threads, it appears the book or web site you are learning from is way, way out of date by more than 10 years. You need to be using something much more modern to learn from.

Just grabbing code found through a google search; the older stuff is typically free as one might expect. But, its not always evident to me that it's old.

drhowarddrfine
01-01-2010, 11:32 PM
It might be helpful to you to follow along with w3schools.com's tutorials. They're brief and to the point but use current stuff that you can expand on with Google searches.

Arbitrator
01-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Just grabbing code found through a google search; the older stuff is typically free as one might expect. But, its not always evident to me that it's old.This is often the case with script repositories, I've found. They keep scripts submitted from years ago and no one moderates them, so you get some pretty crummy scripts.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum