View Full Version : Place in document

jamesk
12-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,

I've never understood how this is done:

I know that #top means to go to the top of a document - how do i use them to go to certain parts of the document?

Eg: If I have a calendar like this:

Jan 1
Jan 2
Jan 3
Jan 4
Jan 5

and I want to skip to Jan 5 in the document - how do you go there by hyperlinking <a href="index.html#jan5">Jan 5</a>

I hope you know what I mean. Also - Merry Christmas :)

Cheers,
James

met
12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
<a href="#link">Clicking this jumps to</a>

<a name="link">here..</a>

weaver
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
I think you are talking about the name attribute. From - http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_links.asp

The name Attribute

When the name attribute is used, the <a> element defines a named anchor inside a HTML document.

Named anchor are not displayed in any special way. They are invisible to the reader.

Named anchor syntax:
<a name="label">Any content</a>

The link syntax to a named anchor:
<a href="#label">Any content</a>

The # in the href attribute defines a link to a named anchor.

So using your example you would use this at the January 5th location on the calendar. <a name="jan5">Jan 5 content</a>. [I have also used this without putting any content - like this <a name="jan5"></a> at the beginning of the line where I want the jump to go, but do not know if that is kosher.]

And then at the part of your document where you want to list the dates and have the ability to jump to that section you would have <a href="#jan5">January 5</a>.

The W3schools page has other examples such as how to link from another page to that place in the document, etc.

Weaver

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum