View Full Version : How long did it take you to fully learn html/css?

12-20-2009, 01:17 AM
I've just started learning about a week and a half ago and so far and have the basic understanding. But at times, their are some HTML tags or CSS properties I would forget and would have to look back for reference. Is this something that takes time and experience or can you guys remember it right away?

I'm learning from the w3school and after that, I'll probably learn more advance CSS on floats and positioning which is a little confusing right now. But I'll get their.

12-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Hahaha - Define "fully"

I don't think anyone ever stops learning it.

12-28-2009, 02:15 AM
I agree you think you know it all, and something comes along to proove you just dont.

12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
learning both only takes one week,

But it hand coding practice that will help you to remember all the tags and properties.

with respect to html it is easy to remember,.

for most of the tags, the attributes will be similar...

align, bgcolor, width, height, valign, class( which is used for applying stylesheet).

Honestly, learn by hand coding.. Use dreamweaver code window, which has intelisense and would remind you the available propeties and values.

Rather than learning time from book... it is the practice time that will decide how you have mastered.

good luck

12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Hahaha - Define "fully"

I don't think anyone ever stops learning it.

I'm hardly an expert, but in answer to the original question, it took me 3 years to gain enough knowledge to re-design my ecommerce website and make it look professional. It wasn't a continuous learning process - I would rigorously work on the design about once every couple of months. I'm not a web designer but I'm the only person in my company with web design skills (I started out with none). My website has gone through 4 different looks and with the knowledge I have learned in HTML and CSS during those 3 years, my skills have amounted to this...

... but with help now and then from some very knowledgeable Coding Forum members, of course! :thumbsup:

12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
I suppose you could fully learn a particular standard (HTML 4.01 with CSS2 for example) in quite a short time (6 months?), but being a modern standards compliant author will always be an ongoing process.

I've been doing it for seven years, and I didn't know this (http://www.addyosmani.com/resources/googlebox/) was possible until I saw it in the Javascript section today (it's actually CSS).

12-30-2009, 12:24 AM
I generally do just basic stuff with css every 6 months ago or so. Yet every time I am unable to do it without looking at tutorials/examples online again. So I guess the answer is years :>

12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I would never say I understand fully anything. But I was confident enough to provide html/css service about 4 months after I started to learn it. It would take me at least 3 days to do what I can do now in 5 hours (10 months after learning it).