View Full Version : Please critique my PHP Twitter monitor

12-17-2009, 04:50 AM

The purpose of this script is to allow anybody with a web server to easily host their own Twitter kiosk. This is useful for people who want to monitor a Twitter account and have the following two requirements met:

1. New tweets show up automatically
2. Customizable design (particularly font size)

On the official Twitter site, you're only notified of new tweets; the tweets aren't actually displayed automatically. With Twitter clients such as TweetDeck, the tweets do show up automatically, but you have very limited control of the styling of the page (particularly font size). So, for example, if you wanted the first three tweets to show up in an extremely large font that could be viewed from across the room, this isn't possible with TweetDeck or any other Twitter client I've tried. With this script, it's possible with a simple CSS declaration. The configuration file is extremely easy to use and therefore the configuration takes less than a minute.

12-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Seems to work. Looks pretty good.

Oddly, I feel like it shouldn't keep so many up there. It doesn't feel as fresh if there are 20 tweets as opposed to only a few.

12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Are you able to embed this into a page? Otherwise, it loses a lot of its utility.

12-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The script isn't really meant to be embedded. The point is so that you can have a monitor displaying a Twitter timeline all the time, but you could easily embed the script into another page by changing the CSS and using an iframe.