View Full Version : A picture is worth a thousand Googles

drhowarddrfine
12-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Search using pictures (http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/#landmark) from your camera from Google, of course.

Fumigator
12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
For people too lazy to type. From Google, of course.

bazz
12-07-2009, 09:36 PM
By the time I would have taken the picture and uploaded it, I think I could have typed the search terms. And I wouldn't even have had to be near the 'place' to have taken the photo.

bazz

Fumigator
12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
By the time I would have taken the picture and uploaded it, I think I could have typed the search terms. And I wouldn't even have had to be near the 'place' to have taken the photo.

bazz

But then you'd have to TYPE!!! (the horror)

bazz
12-07-2009, 09:49 PM
lol. actually, I have just realised the value in my search facility. no typing; no photos or images - just click. :)

Better get it finished sharpish.

bazz

drhowarddrfine
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
But what if you didn't know what it was you were looking at?

bazz
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Hmm, I can't think of such an occasion. if I read a book, the caption is usually below the image (unless it's a picture book lol). If I find the image on the Internet, I will likely have searched for it :eek: or the site will say what it is.

Fumi: sounds like they are creating a search facility for those who won't type OR read :) I stopped being spoon-fed last week.

I just know I gonna get singed :D
bazz

TheShaner
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Seems like an iPhone app from Google would really reap the most benefit from this technology. Take a picture of a tourist site and the app will automatically tell you what it is. I actually could've used that when I went over to London. Sure, I knew what most of the buildings were, but definitely not all... like the dark, oblong building not too far from the Tower of London shaped like... well... an unmentionable on a public forum, lol.

-Shane

bazz
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
But what if you didn't know what it was you were looking at?

Duh, I was thinking about photos, not real buildings as shaner has accidentally pointed out to me. OK, now I see the point. :rolleyes: could be useful.

bazz

bazz
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Sure, I knew what most of the buildings were, but definitely not all... like the dark, oblong building not too far from the Tower of London shaped like... well... an unmentionable on a public forum, lol.

-Shane

Might that be the 'gherkin'? this (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=gherkin+london&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&ei=jn8dS8vhO4injAf5rNH4Aw&gbv=2)

Not sure how close it is to tower of london.... oh, it's this close http://alptown.com/photos/images/England.2006.GherkinAndTowerOfLondon.jpg. Still, your other description gave away what you were looking for, I think.
bazz

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-08-2009, 07:48 AM
The app however seems to be only available from the android store.

TheShaner
12-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Might that be the 'gherkin'? this (http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=gherkin+london&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&ei=jn8dS8vhO4injAf5rNH4Aw&gbv=2)

Not sure how close it is to tower of london.... oh, it's this close http://alptown.com/photos/images/England.2006.GherkinAndTowerOfLondon.jpg. Still, your other description gave away what you were looking for, I think.
bazz
Yep, that would be it! I know I could've found it with my description, but other buildings and such may not be as recognizable. It's fairly easy to find when it's the only phallic-shaped building in the area, lol. In either case, it's easier to take the picture and let the app do the work, rather than start searching Google with keywords that you hope will describe it properly.

I was just making a case that it could be helpful for tourists, esp. if they're lost and it not only finds the name of the building, but the address of it. You could even take a picture of a building and then use Google Maps to find your way back to your hotel from that building, most likely all in one app.

-Shane

drhowarddrfine
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
This reminds of the iPhone app that you can have music play into it and it will identify the song. I'm thinking, one day, you can take a picture of an item and an app will find the best deal for it at different stores in your area.

nick1988
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
This reminds of the iPhone app that you can have music play into it and it will identify the song. I'm thinking, one day, you can take a picture of an item and an app will find the best deal for it at different stores in your area.

Grrrrr, I was just about to mention that app :D

Perfect for cheating at pub quizzes *shifty eyes*. Not that I do, don't have an iPhone, but it always gets mentioned by the quizmaster :D

Generally, a search like "[enter some lyrics here] lyrics" will find the song you are looking for on google. But an app which can listen to a song and tell you what it is, thats just lazy, and I like lazy!

Anyway, I've gone offtopic, back to Google Goggles!

TheShaner
12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking, one day, you can take a picture of an item and an app will find the best deal for it at different stores in your area.
In some way, this is already being done by other companies. The technology is called augmented reality, and although it's being offered on cell phones currently, many car companies plan on using some form of augmented reality on windshield displays in the near future. Maybe not product shopping from your car, but maps, addresses, pedestrian recognition, etc. It wouldn't be too long you're adding apps to your car.

So Google Goggles isn't even close to the first to take advantage of cell phone cameras and photos to search for stuff. They're just ensuring their place with this new technology.

Layar - http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/virtual-reality/overlaying-reality-your-cell-phone
SeeScan - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/04/mobile-tech-see/

-Shane

brad211987
12-08-2009, 06:41 PM

There is an app that will do this if you take a picture of a bar-code, but that is about as close as I've seen yet. I believe Google Goggles does the bar-code recognition as well.

oracleguy
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
In some way, this is already being done by other companies. The technology is called augmented reality, and although it's being offered on cell phones currently, many car companies plan on using some form of augmented reality on windshield displays in the near future. Maybe not product shopping from your car, but maps, addresses, pedestrian recognition, etc. It wouldn't be too long you're adding apps to your car.

Some cars already have HUDs, which I think is really cool. Usually the HUD just displays your speed but it would be cool if it was tied into the GPS so it could display the name of the street or exit you need to take next. It would make it easier to check to name against the street signs.

But something else this reminded me of was this cool new screen Range Rover is using: http://cupholder.blogs.topgear.com/2009/07/20/range-rovers-magic-screen/

Apostropartheid
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I assume drdr is talking about Shazam, which is amazing in oh so many ways apart from the way it takes just slightly too long to start. There are more barcode scanning apps out there to count, though.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I assume drdr is talking about Shazam, which is amazing in oh so many ways apart from the way it takes just slightly too long to start. There are more barcode scanning apps out there to count, though.

I don't like how Shazam is free for the iphone/ipod touch but blackberry users have to pay a one time fee of 5 dollars for it. It is a good investment however. Its actually pretty quick starting up for me. Kind of useless on my ipod unless I have a mic. I don't use the headphones that came with my ipod though.

Apostropartheid
12-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I just wish it went start to the "Tag now" page instead of starting with some useless stuff about what I already know! I spend too long fiddling with it to get to the tagging screen and usually miss the song.

Well, I hate how much I have to pay in the UK for music. Does the BB version have adverts, though?

Zangeel
12-10-2009, 02:44 AM
The power of google is a reason I'm thinking of investing in an android phone.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I just wish it went start to the "Tag now" page instead of starting with some useless stuff about what I already know! I spend too long fiddling with it to get to the tagging screen and usually miss the song.

Well, I hate how much I have to pay in the UK for music. Does the BB version have adverts, though?
No it doesn't. Also by hitting a button we get a small menu where the first option is tag now.

Apostropartheid
12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
There are for the iPhone; maybe they should provide tiering.

That's my point, though: the tagging should be the first thing shown and more easily available because it's the most useful function of the app. As it is, the tag now button is a pain to hit, especially when you're trying to get a piece which is very small.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum