View Full Version : Unavoidable screen colour differences? Or something I can fix? :S

emmaburge
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi people,

1st post in this section :) ive just uploaded a test version of a site im starting: www.ameliealden.com/vnm/musicshop

The links dont work yet. Im having a problem when i check it on a pc (to test in IE)

actual layout and styling is fine in IE (whew..) but i immediately noticed something about the colours.

Ive attached 2 screenshots - one of the pc's display and one of my macs.

It doesnt matter what browser I use.. is there anything i could do about this? (Is it my css/colour choice??)

Emma

VIPStephan
11-27-2009, 04:09 PM
It might be related to the default Gamma settings of Windows and Apple PCs (which is different as you might see). Windows has a Gamma value of 2,2 while Mac usually has 1,8 as default which is a little lighter. You should probably work with Gamma 2,2 when designing your site and setting colors.

This is a complicated subject, though, and I’m not too familiar with this as well but I never had porblems either so I didn’ have to care about this yet. Do a research on the internet.

_Aerospace_Eng_
11-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi people,

1st post in this section :) ive just uploaded a test version of a site im starting: www.ameliealden.com/vnm/musicshop

The links dont work yet. Im having a problem when i check it on a pc (to test in IE)

actual layout and styling is fine in IE (whew..) but i immediately noticed something about the colours.

Ive attached 2 screenshots - one of the pc's display and one of my macs.

It doesnt matter what browser I use.. is there anything i could do about this? (Is it my css/colour choice??)

Emma
Look at my post in this thread

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=183279

emmaburge
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
slightly darker color that all versions of IE use on pngs. This is due to the PNG gamma that IE reads.

ahh thanks for making that clear :) So, i only have small images here to make the sides of the boxes. If i 'gif'ed these, would it solve the prob in IE?

Emma

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
ahh thanks for making that clear :) So, i only have small images here to make the sides of the boxes. If i 'gif'ed these, would it solve the prob in IE?

Emma

You might lose some quality. The gif would work but their background would need to be a solid color rather than transparent or you might start seeing some small artifacts.

Or just use the software I pointed to in that thread and keep the pngs.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum