View Full Version : Tell a Friend Script not working

11-21-2009, 04:55 AM
I have this sort of referral page on my website... You can view it here: http://www.thepriceoflust.com/pages/about.html Anyway it doesn't work... I was wondering if any of you guys know why... It will let you enter your email address and your friends email address and type up a note but it will never send out an email after you hit send...

11-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Free hosting? or paid?
Using Sendmail?
Can you send/receive emails from a contact script?

11-21-2009, 06:17 PM
it is paid hosting... I just found this script on the net for a refer-a-friend page and uploaded it to my about us page... That is all I did... Do I need to put something else in the script?

11-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Hello thepriceoflust,
Your form has <form action="file.php" method=POST>
but file.php appears to be your index page. That's why that page loads when you click send.

11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
File.php is not the index page... index.php is...

11-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Can you post the contents of file.php here then?

click on this link - http://www.thepriceoflust.com/pages/file.php

11-21-2009, 06:58 PM
// PHP Simp Refferal Version 1.0 //
// //
// Copyright 2002 //
// Darren Labey //
// All Rights Reserved //
// //
// This Script May Not Be //
// Modified In Any Way //
// Except To Edit The //
// Variables. //
// //
// This information here may not //
// be taken off as we are allowing//
// you to not have the copyright //
// shown on your page. //
// //
// Any breaches of these //
// conditions will result in //
// legal action. //
// //
// This script is distributed //
// freely with no warranty free //
// of charge. //
// //

// Edit the field below to show your sites url.

$site = "www.thepriceoflust.com";

// No editing.

$email = "$f_femail";

// Replace noreply@yoursite.com with the appropriate information on where the email is coming from.

$from = "admin@thepriceoflust.com";

// No Editing.

$subject = "Hey I wanted To Tell You About $site";
if ($f_name <> "" and $f_email <> "" and $f_message <> "" and $f_femail <> "" ) {
mail("$email", "$subject", "Hey! $f_name whose e-mail address is $f_email, wanted to tell you about $site!\n\nMessage From $f_name,\n$f_message", "From: $from");

// Edit the field below to represent the message displayed when the form has been successfully sent. If you want you may use a PHP include to include a message sent page.

$msg = "<center>Thanks $f_name, your friend will be informed about this site!<br><br><font size=\"2\" color=\"ff0000\">Copyright PHP Simp Reffer V1.0</font><br><a href=\"http://darrensscripts.netfirms.com\"><FONT SIZE=\"2\">By Darren's Scripts</font></a></center>";
} else {

// Edit the field below to tell if the form has not had all fields filled out.

$msg = "All fields are required, push the back button to fill out the rest.";
<p><? echo $msg; ?></p>

11-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Maybe this is a path problem.
Where exactly is file.php?
It could be this is all you need to do <form action="../file.php" method="POST">

11-21-2009, 07:01 PM
I picked up this script on the web some place... I wanted to change my "about" page to a Tell-A-Friend page. This is what I did. I copied the css style coding right to about.tpl and then I put the file.php file in the same folder...

11-21-2009, 07:03 PM
should I put the file.php in the root folder or in the same folder as about.tpl which is in the templates/default folder

11-21-2009, 07:57 PM
I tried to use a different script and that didn't work either... Is there a script that you guys know of that works... Maybe there is something wrong with this one...

11-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Ok maybe I am not installing this correctly... Here is what I have... I want to take my "about us" page and turn it into a "Refer a Friend" page... I found this refferal script online. When I download the script and unzip it I get three different files... One is a readme.txt file which really doesn't tell me anything on how to install this script... The other files I have are a .php file and a .html file... If someone could walk me through the install that would be great... What I did previously was take the .html file ande copy past that to the "about" page... It made the styling of the page look good but I don't think there was coding behind it... Thanks for the help...