View Full Version : IE loses more market share again

drhowarddrfine
11-04-2009, 01:01 AM
While Firefox made gains and passed IE6 in usage, total IE usage lost more than a point, continuing its downward trend of losing market share almost every month for about 5 years.

Here's an interesting fact: almost as many people use Firefox 3.5 as use IE8.

Link (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/11/october-2009-browser-stats-firefox-finally-passes-ie6.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss)

airforce1
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
IE8 does open faster than former editions of IE but still lack of innovative features while Firefox is making progress day by day, especially the current 3.5.5 version. It looks it has resolved many bugs and is more stable and efficient. :)

Deacon Frost
11-29-2009, 10:13 AM
If FX took over safari users, they could stomp out IE once and for all! MWAHAHAHA

aliza147
11-30-2009, 07:48 PM
I think Firefox 3.5 is much better than the previous versions and as Firefox is open source so it is developing very fastly day by day. Well so far as IE is concerned, IE 8 is good but it is facing competition from Firefox and the tremendously marketed Google Chrome.

So lets see how MS will respond to these factors :)

Apostropartheid
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I just want firefox to look nice. Seriously. It fits in perfectly with Ubuntu, why not Windows? It's just ugly. I'm using Chrome now, which has much better themes.

oracleguy
11-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I just want firefox to look nice. Seriously. It fits in perfectly with Ubuntu, why not Windows? It's just ugly. I'm using Chrome now, which has much better themes.

What's wrong with it on Windows? I am using it now with Windows 7 with Aero and it looks fine. But I guess it is personal preference. As long as a program doesn't intentionally make a weird non-conventional UI for the platform (I am looking at you iTunes on Windows), I don't usually mind.

VIPStephan
12-01-2009, 09:31 PM
For the first time Firefox supersedes Internet Explorer in marketshare (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Firefox-ueberholt-in-Deutschland-Microsofts-Internet-Explorer-873082.html) in Germany according to Heise.de. Of the 126.000 internet users that were interviewed by market research institution “Fittkau & MaaŖ” 45,4% were using Firefox and 44,5% were using Internet Explorer. Safari is at 4,4%, Google Chrome at 2,3%, and Opera at 2,7% market share. Statcounter.com has relatively similar results for Germany.

Almost 98% of the Firefox users are using version 3 while still 16% of the users of IE are using version 6 of this browser, about 25% use IE 7. About a third of the very old versions of IE are used in companies.

drhowarddrfine
12-02-2009, 01:49 AM
For the first time Firefox supersedes Internet Explorer in marketshare (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Firefox-ueberholt-in-Deutschland-Microsofts-Internet-Explorer-873082.html) in Germany

Hungary and Slovakia, too. Link (http://www.atinternet-institute.com/en-us/browsers-barometer/browser-barometer-september-2009/index-1-2-3-180.html)

Apostropartheid
12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Central Europe has always been a stronghold for Firefox. Does anybody have any idea why?

Fumigator
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Central Europe has always been a stronghold for Firefox. Does anybody have any idea why?

It's free :D

I'm probably talking out my bum here but it appears to me that Microsoft represents American greed, excess, dirty capitalizm, etc. etc. so it is generally resented by countries who are jealous of the gluttony. Our American attitude rubs people the wrong way. So Firefox represents a big middle finger to America. And Europeans LOVE that.

bazz
12-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm probably talking out my bum here but it appears to me that Microsoft represents American greed, excess, dirty capitalizm, etc. etc. so it is generally resented by countries who are jealous of the gluttony.

I would tend to agree if you removed the word 'American'.

Our American attitude rubs people the wrong way.

I am from Europe and we regularly have Amercian guests to our guesthouse. Never experienced that. Indeed, we just wish that they would realise before they come over, that they know 3 days isn't enough to 'do' Ireland. Invariably, they go away having missed many things they would have liked to do had they known about them in advance and had therefore set aside sufficient time. Americans/Canadians please, take note if you are crossing the Atlantic.

So Firefox represents a big middle finger to America. And Europeans LOVE that.

lol. hmm yeh, OK for some. But imv, it has nothing to do with Amercian people. If anything it is due to a perception of arrogance in America's political policies.

I'll stop there in case I set off a hot thread.

bazz

drhowarddrfine
12-03-2009, 08:38 PM
we just wish that they would realise before they come over, that they know 3 days isn't enough to 'do' Ireland.

I'm glad you said that. Ireland is one place I do want to visit. I didn't know you were from there. I'm wondering if your 3 day visitors might have gotten some kind of deal on their trip. I see them advertised "3 Days in .... for $100!!!" I might be exaggerating.

My son was in Scotland visiting an online gaming friend last year.

bazz
12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
The world maps help to give the impression that Ireland is very small. OK, it is but still big enough to accommodate 8 million as it did pre 1850 famine. Now around 5 million.

The roads are narrower than in the US and so journey times take longer here than in the US, especially when you leave the motorway network.
In addition to that, the size of the country on a map, looks like you could fit about 5 people into it (lol). as part of a european trip, many allow just three days for Ireland because what they want to see should fit into three days but, often the locations are each a 4 or five hour journey apart. And then, once here, they find there is much more to do.

Best to allow 7 - 10 days. check out Rick Steves. His guide is updated annually and 'he' lists only those places which he or his co-author have visited personally and approved for listing, that year. He's on TV too, in the US (on one of your community tv channels, I think).

bazz

drhowarddrfine
12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
The roads are narrower than in the US and so journey times take longer here than in the USSo you're small, just slower. That just made me chuckle.

Best to allow 7 - 10 days. check out Rick Steves.
Yep. On PBS and his books are at the libraries and every book store. We saw the Ireland visit a few months ago.

Apostropartheid
12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
The whole of the British Isles is like that. They're small but really densely populated, so there's just so much crammed into a tiny space. Really, if you want to have any idea what Europe's like you'd have to spend about a week in each country, simply because the culture can change so dramatically in such a small space. And if you really want a taste, you'd have to know the language. There's so much a language can tell you about its people it's astonishing.

I don't think many Americans realize quite how profound this effect is till they're actually here because America is a massive landmass with a culture which doesn't change quite as much.

Fumigator
12-04-2009, 06:21 PM
There's culture in America? :confused::confused::confused:

VIPStephan
12-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Yes, Iíve heard of it. Itís almost extinguished but there is: Cree, Pueblo, Sioux, Yuma, Abenaki, Metoac, Ö

Brandoe85
12-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, Iíve heard of it. Itís almost extinguished but there is: Cree, Pueblo, Sioux, Yuma, Abenaki, Metoac, Ö
What? Those are just names of rock bands...;)

drhowarddrfine
12-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Wasn't Boy George in Culture Club?

bazz
12-04-2009, 11:50 PM

No, they are tribes, I think. actually, one of my exes is apparently a descendant of one of those tribes but I never did establish how. Her last name was a match though.

Still, does tribalism == culture?

bazz

PappaJohn
12-05-2009, 04:16 AM
To the tribesman - probably.

TheShaner
12-05-2009, 04:17 AM
No, they are tribes, I think. actually, one of my exes is apparently a descendant of one of those tribes but I never did establish how. Her last name was a match though.

bazz
Bazz, they were joking, haha. They are native American tribes that originally inhabited the North American continent before the Vikings and Spanish ever landed here. They supposedly migrated from the Asian continent across the Bering Straight thousands of years ago when North America and Asia connected. They inhabited that area before the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incans inhabited South America. So yes, there is lots of culture there, as long as they've attempted to preserve it.

Most Americans, though, are blends of other cultures. Like me, I'm 25% Sicilian, 25% Norwegian, and the rest is mostly English with hints of Swedish. Trust me, I've always wished I had some kind of culture, traditions, and language passed down to me. But you can't pick where your born :p

To be fair, many areas in America have their own heritage that are unique to their town and area. We may not have as long and rich of a history as other civilizations, but time does not dictate culture. A people dictates culture. Culture exists in America; it's just not as old.

-Shane

drhowarddrfine
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
They supposedly migrated from the Asian continent across the Bering Straight thousands of years ago when North America and Asia connected.

And unladen swallows, depending on the airspeed velocity, of course.

Deacon Frost
12-05-2009, 11:04 PM

Clearly you've never been to Vegas. There's more culture in Las Vegas than in the entire world. Seriously, you can experience everything there... well, almost everything...

(donkeys).

EwokG
12-06-2009, 12:55 AM
I never used IE for the past 2 years. I have always been a Firefox lover.

drhowarddrfine
12-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I never used IE for the past 2 years. I have always been a Firefox lover.

Man, you are waaayyyy off topic....oh....er....

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum