View Full Version : Tooltip with slideshow help!!

SPD
04-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Hello.

I'm here again with my weird ideas...

Check this script:

http://www.superprodesign.com/spd/scripts/images/imgtootltip3.html

I mainly made it for IE users .. not because I don't like Netscape but because the majority of the people use IE5+

I would like to know:

1) This script works in Netscape? If yes, in which version(s)?
2) Would you like to add anything to it?
3) Do anybody in the forum knows how to make it function in Netscape?

Please note the smooth transition effect in the slideshow... that is also a feature!

Please comment on these points.

Roy Sinclair
04-11-2003, 06:17 PM
It won't work in any version of Netscape. If you want it to work in non-IE browsers then you can't use IE only constructs. Specifically the reference to objects on the page by their ID. IE will allow you to simply reference them by the ID as a global variable but the proper way is to use document.getElementById("id goes here").

Other than that, you should use "cursor: pointer" in addition to "cursor: hand" since the former is standard and the latter is another IE only usage and while later versions of IE understand both , earlier versions only understand the non-standard CSS.

beetle
04-11-2003, 06:21 PM
That won't work in anything but IE, because you are using IE-only compatible references, such as

este.style.visibility="visible"

When it should be

var elem = document.getElementById('este');
elem.style.visiblity = "visible";

Or, done via some abstraction process

function getNode( id )
{
return ( document.layers ) ? document.layers[id] : ( document.getElementById || document.all )( id );
}

var elem = getNode( 'este' );
elem.style.visibility = "visible";

SPD
04-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Well, I see.

Thank you both...

Is there anything else to modify that you can tell me or that's all...? :confused:

Roy Sinclair
04-11-2003, 06:30 PM
You really ought to download and install the latest Mozilla browser so you can test these things yourself. You don't have to let it associate itself with anything on your system so you can have it an only use it when you need to. But you're not going to be able to write code which you're sure will work with it when you don't have your own copy for testing.

SPD
04-11-2003, 06:38 PM
I see your point... well... thank you nevertheless for the advice.

SPD :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum