View Full Version : What do you guys think of this?

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm new to this forum and sort of new to HTML and CSS....Iv'e been coding now for about 4 weeks and I really love it, When I started learning I knew nothing about HTML, CSS, Photoshop or anything. So I've came here to show off a little bit of work and what you guys think of it.
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mydwnmc1dmj

Just click on the file "index.html". But it doesn't work in chrome for some reason. This is all pure HTML with a little Javascript. This site is not done by a long shot. This is not supposed to be a full blown site, just a page that looks like a mock up of facebook or myspace about some random person in our web page design class. So is this good for a kid who has been coding for almost a month? Am I off to a good start?
Thanks!

OGGordon
11-03-2009, 02:10 AM
upload your website on a free host. not downloading that anr recommend others not to also.

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 02:12 AM
^Why not? As far as I know that is a free file hosting site.

OGGordon
11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
try "free webhosting"

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 02:20 AM
^Mind giving me a couple of suggestions then of some free webhosting sites? Although I don't see the need, there is nothing bad in that file...

j05hr
11-03-2009, 02:36 AM
I don't know about free web hosting but completely agree with what OGGordon says. Can understand your point of view rcfreak339 but you know what's in it, how trusting would you be to someone when they tell you to download something and you have no idea who they are?

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 02:40 AM
I don't know about free web hosting but completely agree with what OGGordon says. Can understand your point of view rcfreak339 but you know what's in it, how trusting would you be to someone when they tell you to download something and you have no idea who they are?

I understand, Completely. But seriously the last thing I would want to do is put some kind of dangerous thing on someones computer. Seriously, I'm not that big of a jerk.

j05hr
11-03-2009, 02:50 AM
You know that but nobody else does. If I put something on here and only had a few posts would you download it?

tomws
11-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Besides the valid point about not downloading mystery files, there's also the issue of forcing someone to go to the trouble of downloading and setting it up just to view and comment on the work. If you want feedback, do the legwork and upload it to a free host. (Google is a great tool for finding free hosting.) Then come back and post in the Site Reviews subforum where this is probably better placed.

There are many good designers here to critique a site and help get you started in the right direction.

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I couldn't find any free hosting site that would host just pure HTML, so I just got some screenshots.
http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1257263104090464700.jpg
Here you can see my basic layout of the page, yes its just a big table. Having just plain HTML and no CSS sucks. The "Online!" is a GIF which I did make in photoshop, but I havee yet to find a way to make the background transperent on the image. Any suggestions. All the graphics were made by me.

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1257263337062497300.jpg
Here is my scroll box. My first scroll box I ever did make, I think it turned out well.

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1257263455011839100.jpg
Here is my photo section which IS STILL under construction. I need to work on link colors and add more photos.

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1257263518068585600.jpg
Since I found the page to be a bit easy, I decided to challenge myself a bit and so I added some rollovers and other Java Script command. With some help I did get it done!

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1257263627080474400.jpg
Heres a little bit of Javascript that I though would just be realy cool.

Hope you guys enjoyed my pictures! What do you think? Is it good for a kid who has done this for little over a month?

tomws
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I couldn't find any free hosting site that would host just pure HTML,

:eek:

Results 1 - 10 of about 154,000,000 for free web host. (0.15 seconds)

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
:eek:

^Every site MADE me use one of these dumb tamplets. I couldn't find anything that just let me use pure HTML. If you want, can you give me a link?

VIPStephan
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I’ve read about freehostia (http://www.freehostia.com/) before but never used it. But if our most respected member _Aerospace_Eng_ is recommending it then I suppose it’s alright. :)

tspek
11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
You guys are over thinking this (http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=181161)

;)

Rowsdower!
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I couldn't find any free hosting site that would host just pure HTML, so I just got some screenshots.

Here you can see my basic layout of the page, yes its just a big table. Having just plain HTML and no CSS sucks. The "Online!" is a GIF which I did make in photoshop, but I havee yet to find a way to make the background transperent on the image. Any suggestions. All the graphics were made by me.

Here is my scroll box. My first scroll box I ever did make, I think it turned out well.

Here is my photo section which IS STILL under construction. I need to work on link colors and add more photos.

Since I found the page to be a bit easy, I decided to challenge myself a bit and so I added some rollovers and other Java Script command. With some help I did get it done!

Heres a little bit of Javascript that I though would just be realy cool.

Hope you guys enjoyed my pictures! What do you think? Is it good for a kid who has done this for little over a month?

If it's actually coded in tables, you'll have a riot on your hands once you finally get it uploaded and give us the link. Just fair warning! ;) If it is based on HTML tables you should probably stop now and figure out how to use <div> elements and CSS instead. Tables are largely regarded as evil and horrid ways of building a non-tabular data display (in other words, presenting something that would not fit naturally into a spreadsheet).

The second stop on the road to impressing us all will be running your shiny new table-less layout code through the HTML validator (http://validator.w3.org/) and cleaning things up until you're fully valid.

Now, to make an image transparent in Photoshop...
To get a transparent background in the first place open a new document and select "transparent" rather than a specific background color. That's about it. Once your image contains transparency and you want to make an image for the web you have to save either as a GIF (with transparency option checked off when you "save as") or else as a PNG and then the transparencies will work.

As a general note, javascript rollover effects are usually unnecessary and can usually be done in CSS. Aim for as little javascript in your page as possible in most cases.

Now, if you're asking about aesthetics that's a whole other issue. I pretty much always recommend getting the mechanics in line first.

P.S. Freehostia ROCKS! You can do almost anything a typical beginner could want including FTP upload, PHP, and MySQL. You certainly aren't restricted to using a template or an online editor (although they do offer one). If you want pretty darned good free hosting then check them out. The only things so far that disappointed me were the absence of support for CURL, PHPmail, and cron jobs - but that's all down the road a fair distance for you anyway. You can pay for better hosting once you need it to get those things.

Also, 000webhost hosting is free and DOES support CURL (and PHPmail, I believe) so you might check them out. I have far less experience with them than I do with Freehostia though.

rcfreak339
11-03-2009, 05:36 PM
^I'm still learning CSS, This was a assignment given to me to ONLY use HTML...No CSS. I need to learn div though...Thanks!

VIPStephan
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
^I'm still learning CSS, This was a assignment given to me to ONLY use HTML...No CSS. I need to learn div though...Thanks!

Well, then the assignment is crap because a website without CSS does just display plain text and hard coded images. And using deprecated attributes and coding practices to enhance a website’s look isn’t very helpful when learning HTML.

What you need to understand when building websites – and these are the very first things you should know while learning the basic HTML syntax – is the importance of semantics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_HTML) in website development. At the very basic roots of a website it doesn’t matter how it looks but if and how you get/understand the plain information (content) on it. And if you think about this you will most likely find that a table is pretty useless unless you display tabular data (sports results, phone/address directory, or whatever).

tomws
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, then the assignment is crap because a website without CSS does just display plain text and hard coded images. And using deprecated attributes and coding practices to enhance a website’s look isn’t very helpful when learning HTML.

That's what universities here in the States (at least) are teaching, though. The profs tend to be so busy writing papers to secure grant money that they fail to see what has happened in the field in the last five or ten years.

That's not an excuse - just an explanation. Take a look at all of the assignments from students coming here (and the javascript forum) for confirmation. The profs are clueless and stuck in old textbooks.

Rowsdower!
11-03-2009, 07:27 PM
That's what universities here in the States (at least) are teaching, though. The profs tend to be so busy writing papers to secure grant money that they fail to see what has happened in the field in the last five or ten years.

That's not an excuse - just an explanation. Take a look at all of the assignments from students coming here (and the javascript forum) for confirmation. The profs are clueless and stuck in old textbooks.

The word you're looking for here is "tenured." :thumbsup:

j05hr
11-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Here in the UK at college I was still being taught using frames in 2008! :eek: Like rcfreak339 I came on all the forums really impressed with myself for you all to make me feel about this big <-> I then self taught myself CSS which I'm getting pretty good at.

If you want any help rcfreak339 feel free to send me a mail with your MSN and I'll help you out with some Photoshop and CSS.

rcfreak339
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Guys....I'm only a Sophomore in highscool. I'm currently teaching myself CSS although my Web Design class WILL get into it, I'm hoping I can do CSS fairly well by the time we start (sometime in Feburary) so I can start learning some other type of language. Keep in mind...Iv'e only been doing this for a few weeks...I really haven't gotten into anything major. Just the needed basics.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum