View Full Version : creating images and visual aids with PHP

icydash
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Well guys. This is going to be a tough question I have a feeling, since I don't think this is what PHP is made for. But since I don't know how to use flash, and don't really want to take the time to learn, here goes nothin'. All creative ideas welcome.

What I'm trying to do: Basically, I have a mysql database with data in it on certain entities, and a formula to take that data and relate the entities to how similar or different they are. What I would like to learn how to do is display that information visually, in a way similar to http://www.liveplasma.com (go to liveplasma, type in "taking back sunday" and click on the artist/band button for an example). It obviously doesn't need to have the fading effects or be as smooth/flowing, but I would somehow like to generate a sequence of dots in relative positions to one another based on my algorithms and data, and be able to move around the "map," probably using ajax (like how mapquest/google maps does it with its maps?)

Any and all ideas welcome. I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

tomws
11-03-2009, 03:58 AM
There may be some existing PHP graphing software to get you started on this. Take a look on google for "php charts" or "php graphs". I've not seen or used any that provide that exact functionality, but maybe you could tweak something to work as needed.

icydash
11-03-2009, 06:35 AM
ok will do. thanks

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum