View Full Version : get text for other places

ants21
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
hey all!
im making a web page and i need my page to take text and pictures from some other file like .txt, .pdf or .doc but i cant find any tutorials that mention it. i have made it in css and html (cuz i cant put anything else in it).
can any 1 help me about my problem?? :o

Rowsdower!
10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Try googling javascript includes if you are truly stuck with HTML/CSS only. Otherwise, look into PHP as this is very robust and does not rely on the user's machine having javascript enabled (it's also better for SEO since most search engines don't crawl javascript-generated content).

ants21
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
if il use php dont i need a sql server or something? (i havent studied much about php)

Rowsdower!
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
if il use php dont i need a sql server or something? (i havent studied much about php)

MySQL and PHP are very commonly used together but you don't need MySQL (or SQL or any other database for that matter) for anything that doesn't involve a database. Databases are commonly used for user accounts to hold login and account information, etc. For example: blog suites, such as wordpress, use a database for storing, sorting, and filtering user accounts, preferences, blog posts, and replies.

If all you need is file includes then PHP will work for you all by itself.

ants21
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
So if I want to make a page with accounts then i need a sql database? (Iv thought about that do)

Rowsdower!
10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
It wouldn't necessarily have to be SQL, but yes, a secure database of some sort would be needed. Your hosting provider would be able to tell you whether MySQL or some other database is provided with your hosting package. If you have a free host this can be hit-or-miss but for paid plans it is pretty much standard.

ants21
10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
now iv got a nother problem i cant open any .php files in firefox or in ie and if i open them in notepad++ it crashes.

Rowsdower!
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
PHP is a server-side scripting language so the best any browser would give you is unparsed code for a lot of it anyway. It wouldn't actually run the script parts so you wouldn't see what you were intending.

I'm not sure why Notepad++ would crash though. If nothing else regular old Notepad will work (that's what I use most of the time anyway).

ants21
10-28-2009, 07:08 PM
thanks il try and see if i can figure it out!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum