View Full Version : Resolved Parsing errors?

greens85
10-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to validate my document, but I've got 3 errors that I just can't seem to get rid of:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teachingagencies.co.uk%2Ftestpages%2F;accept=image%2Fgif%2C%20image%2Fx-xbitmap%2C%20image%2Fjpeg%2C%20image%2Fpjpeg%2C%20application%2Fx-shockwave-flash%2C%20application%2Fxaml%2Bxml%2C%20application%2Fvnd.ms-xpsdocument%2C%20application%2Fx-ms-xbap%2C%20application%2Fx-ms-application%2C%20application%2Fvnd.ms-powerpoint%2C%20application%2Fmsword%2C%20application%2Fvnd.ms-excel%2C%20*%2F*;accept-language=en-gb

The errors are appearing on lines 877 & 911 but my document doesnt even have that many lines :confused:

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks,

Greens85

abduraooft
10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
but my document doesnt even have that many lines

Can anyone advise?It has! Take the parsed html output from your browser's "view source" option.

_Aerospace_Eng_
10-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Just remove the </div> tag on the line it says its at. That will solve your other issues as well.

greens85
10-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Didnt think of the php that was being produced! :(

However when I do a search for the line from the source code, it tells me the line is:

<div id="footer">

but that is closed by a div then <div id="partners"> is opened and closed... so I don't see why this is a problem :confused:

Obviously there is an extra div tag in there but I dont think it is where the source code is pointing me to!

Rowsdower!
10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Didnt think of the php that was being produced! :(

However when I do a search for the line from the source code, it tells me the line is:

<div id="footer">

but that is closed by a div then <div id="partners"> is opened and closed... so I don't see why this is a problem :confused:

Obviously there is an extra div tag in there but I dont think it is where the source code is pointing me to!

When using the HTML validator I almost always add the options to display the source code and to display verbose errors (these options are in the "More Options" dropdown on the front page of the validator where you would have first entered your URL for testing). Once you do that the validator will create an inline link to the exact place where your source code error is located so that there is no guess work. In this case it is one of the closing </div> tags directly preceding your footer div. You have simply added four closing div tags there when only 3 were needed.

greens85
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Rowsdower,

Many thanks! Thats done the trick...

I shall use the options you mentioned from now on, should help me find the errors faster & stop me tearing my hair out! :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum