View Full Version : Learning the Language

DK-Tandy
10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
ive followed many tutorials yet its all gobble de gooke to me.

whats the best way to learn it?
ive learned HTML and CSS, just struggling with PHP.

im in my last year of high school, and hoping to learn some before i go to college to learn it, its always nice to have an advantage xD

CFMaBiSmAd
10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.php.net/download-docs.php

I recommend the .chm version because both the Index and Search tabs make finding information very easy.

abduraooft
10-17-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/ is a good one to start with PHP

DK-Tandy
10-17-2009, 03:41 PM
is it always nessessorie to download and install PHP on my laptop?

DK-Tandy
10-17-2009, 04:07 PM
also, how long did it take you guys to build something interesting? such as email form, login system etc? also can someone write me a list of what to learn in order :) THANKS GUYS xD

Fou-Lu
10-17-2009, 04:54 PM
is it always nessessorie to download and install PHP on my laptop?

Yes it is if you want to run it. PHP can be run from the command line as well, but its pretty much useless if you want to handle forms. To do that, install a web server as well, IIS or Apache are the two most common, PHP and you may as well install a database - mysql is free, easy to set up and also among the more common web databases.

DK-Tandy
10-17-2009, 05:06 PM
what about making log in stuff? is it any good for that, or would that come under a form?

mlseim
10-17-2009, 05:26 PM
DK ...

If you have no previous programming background, I recommend you get a webhost
and start playing around online. To set up your own server, Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc
on your PC is rather advanced for a non-experienced programmer.

You can subscribe to a webhost really cheap, like $35 per year (or less)... everyone
has their favorites (I like www.cleverdot.com). You can find one using Google.

Start by just making a web page to play around with.

DK-Tandy
10-17-2009, 05:39 PM
rofl, i supply web hosting lol xD, i have high experianced in using a web cPanel.

so i should just make a random page and test with it?

[vengeance]
10-17-2009, 06:56 PM
also, how long did it take you guys to build something interesting? such as email form, login system etc? also can someone write me a list of what to learn in order :) THANKS GUYS xD

Well, no one can tell you how fast you'll be on creating one of those mentioned things. It all depends on how dedicated you are to your project, and how willing you are to learn it.

If you really want to learn PHP and you study hard, you could easily create 'something interesting' in no time. Once you get started with PHP it's basically common sense and will be piece of cake.

mlseim
10-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Yes, make a random page and start playing.
You'll learn the most by doing it.

barkermn01
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
This should not be in the php section,

but w3schools.com there good for learning the basics

But most of us learn wile working i need to do this "do this in php" (GOOGLE) and we learn
Basic syntax
$... a variable
= sets variable
if dose exsactly what it says on the tin lol if($var == $var){do this}else{do this}

And thats the first part of learning lol

mlseim
10-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Barker ...

Why should the original post not be in the PHP section?
I think he asked about PHP?

DK-Tandy
10-18-2009, 09:57 AM
ooh thanks guys, and yes i would say im semi dedicated to learning it :) i'll get doing it now xD

barkermn01
10-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Barker ...

Why should the original post not be in the PHP section?
I think he asked about PHP?

Its not a PHP Question its a General Question where to learn,
E.G how do i do this in php is a php question

if you see where im coming from?

karlosio
10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp is a great resource for learning PHP, practically a whole book on PHP online. However it might not be for the absolute beginner though.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum