View Full Version : Survey about 'The view of the IT staff on open source software'

walec51
10-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I hope you wont consider this as spam :)

I would like ask you to take part in a survey in which I'm trying to
find out whats the general view of the IT staff on open source
software. I consists of about a dozen question and should just take
3-5 min to fill out.

Surveys address: http://www.openeo.biz/limesurvey/index.php?sid=13522&lang=en

This research is a part of my master's thesis and the www.openeo.biz
initiative I've started some time ago. The initiatives goal is to
systematize knowledge about the organizational structures of open
source projects and the business models of companies that are related
to them.

Thanks in advance for spearing your time

Apostropartheid
10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Couple of things:
loose != lose
You seem to assume that adoption rates of open-source programs would be higher: why?

Fumigator
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Done; good luck with your thesis!

TheShaner
10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Couple of things:
loose != lose
You seem to assume that adoption rates of open-source programs would be higher: why?
Are you asking about the adoption of open-source programs within other projects and programs, or the adoption of making your project open-source?

I can easily assume that both rates have increased exponentially in the last 10 years.

For the first example, open-source products are commonly used in my industry. It allows much lower costs of development and integration, which the gov't is always looking for. As long as the products can pass IA, they can be used. Just to name a few: Red Hat Enterprise, Wireshark, PostGreSQL, Eclipse, PHP, Apache, and much, much more.

As exemplifying the second question, you have many major Open source projects that are quickly gaining on its closed-source peers, like web browsers, everything Google, server-side languages, network tools, document tools, OSes, etc.

-Shane

Apostropartheid
10-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't remember the exact question now and I don't really want to comb through the survey again, but I remember it being something which might not necessarily be true in all circumstances.

walec51
10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Couple of things:
loose != lose

Just fixed this. Thanks

I think that this usually happens when software gets open source (Netscape, OpenOffice, Eclipse case). Of course this isn't a universal rule so if you think that it doesn't work for your projects then mark that this factor totally doesn't motivate you to open source then.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum