View Full Version : Can't blast nazis even virtually in Germany

Fumigator
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Found this on slashdot, thought it was mighty interesting:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/09/23/1448224/Wolfenstein-Being-Recalled-In-Germany

From a developer/artist perspective, what a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT it must've been to create duplicate artwork to remove all those references to the 3rd reich, probably had to render two versions of cut scenes, etc etc.

And then for the game to get recalled anyway??? After all that effort??!?! That's job satisfaction... :thumbsup:

VIPStephan
09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow, I’ve seen some screenshot comparisons. That’s insane what unobtrusive details they have removed. But if they were prepared when they developed the game they may have used overlay sprites that can be removed with the click of a button (not that I know how game graphics are developed, though).

However, looking at the screenshots I do feel a little disturbed about how some people can feel joy and satisfaction by moving a dead body lying on the floor by continuously shooting at it (ragdoll effect). I can now understand the authorities that want to prevent such games from being published – and the discussion related to actual school shootings that have happened etc..

Apostropartheid
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
It was a voluntary recall.

Fumigator
09-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow, Iíve seen some screenshot comparisons. Thatís insane what unobtrusive details they have removed. But if they were prepared when they developed the game they may have used overlay sprites that can be removed with the click of a button (not that I know how game graphics are developed, though).

Texture maps (image files) are wrapped around 3D models for most everything. To convert from nazi art to generic bad guy art is simply a matter of using a different texture library, but a graphic artist is still tasked with the job of creating two sets of art. That's the workload I was referring to... maybe "real" game artists can do that kind of stuff quickly but I've messed around with texture art before and I find it extremely challenging!

However, looking at the screenshots I do feel a little disturbed about how some people can feel joy and satisfaction by moving a dead body lying on the floor by continuously shooting at it (ragdoll effect). I can now understand the authorities that want to prevent such games from being published Ė and the discussion related to actual school shootings that have happened etc..

I know what you mean... last night I was playing TF2 and the arrows (yes that's right, the sniper can equip a bow and shoot arrows now) will pin player's avatars up against the wall and with the rag doll physics you can work that corpse over pretty good! I don't know why it's fun... I won't say it's joy or satisfaction, maybe just a little bit of awe at the programming and technology that goes into a game engine nowadays. It's pretty fantastic.

oracleguy
09-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I know what you mean... last night I was playing TF2 and the arrows (yes that's right, the sniper can equip a bow and shoot arrows now) will pin player's avatars up against the wall

The sniper's bow is even better when a pyro on their team lights their arrow on fire first.

Fumigator
09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
The sniper's bow is even better when a pyro on their team lights their arrow on fire first.

:eek: (jaw drops) :eek:

I did not know about that. I must try this ASAP!!!!

oracleguy
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
:eek: (jaw drops) :eek:

I did not know about that. I must try this ASAP!!!!

Yeah, its cool looking. Once the sniper pulls back on their bow, if the pyro shoots flames over it, it lights on fire.

The arrow is also fun as a pyro to use your air blast on. I've killed a couple snipers like that, its fun.

VIPStephan
09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Right… I know you just wanna needle me a little. :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum