View Full Version : / on C://

mattover-matter
04-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi, I am building my website. but after I want to do that thing to go to root directory:

/images/bla

instead of:

C://my desktop/mat/webdesign/mysite/images/blah

get me? Any way I can restrict it to go back to mysite folder, like it was on net without any major coding?

oracleguy
04-04-2003, 04:24 PM
If you have the page in the same folder as the image folder just do:

images/blah

if the images folder is in the folder above the page's folder just do:

../images/blah

That what you wanted?

cg9com
04-04-2003, 09:15 PM
if i dont have alot, i just keep it in the same folder. that way you can just type in the file name.

Tails
04-08-2003, 08:28 PM
It's a common problem that I have to fix between my templates and published copies. Long long ago, there was a program called apend.exe or maybe it was subst.exe, both were for DOS and would let you make a new drive that was just a shortcut to another folder. But Is there a Windows equivalent?

meow
04-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Install a server and set the root directory so it fits your needs.

If you use IE Windows you can probably get away with the good ol' <base href="">. It doesn't seem to care if the URL contains mixed slashes.

Tails
04-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Lets say your folder is C:\site\stuff and you want it to be recognized as the root. Do this at a command prompt:

subst K: C:\site\stuff

Now access K via My Computer or something. K is a drive that is actually C:\site\stuff, but now you have the benefit of it being the root. Enjoy!

mattover-matter
04-09-2003, 10:35 PM
?????????????????

What do you mean?

Tails
04-09-2003, 11:15 PM
subst k: C:\anything\

makes K:\ C:\anything

Now all root hrefs point to K:\ which is really your c:\anything folder or such. Get it?

brothercake
04-09-2003, 11:26 PM
You can do the same thing with "Tools > Map Network Drive" in windows explorer - map any arbitrary folder to a spare drive letter.

But I'd recommend you get a web server; then you'd be able to develop server-side scripts as well :)

Tails
04-09-2003, 11:41 PM
That sounds great to me, but I need a new computer as it is. It can crash any day now, and I don't have a working cd drive to reinstall windows. It was once so bad I had to reinstall 3 times in 1 month. Curse Compaq computers!:mad: But I can't do a thing without a credit card. And don't servers cost around $10,000?

oracleguy
04-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Well servers can yes. But you can get web server software for free, i.e. Apache. And if you got windows NT4, 2000, or XP you can use IIS as your webserver, which is included with the OS.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum