View Full Version : Futile!!!

Mhtml
04-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Today is a sad day for the Gates Empire.

After a lot of thought, I'm ditching ASP to start into PHP.
I've come to realise that ASP hosting is just to expensive, and furthermore if I want the same functiuality of PHP I have to move to ASP.NET which is even more expensive.

Although until I have the same level of skill all new clients (if I even get any...ever:() will be developed in ASP.

Ok, now I've got some webspace over at Krycek's ithium.net, I will without a doubt be signing up with ithium when he gets it all up and runnning.

Anything I should know before I really dive into this? I have PHP-Dev by the way :).

Íkii
04-04-2003, 08:52 AM
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

the useful one - will output all the particulars of your build that you need to know.

the main other thing to keep in mind is that recent builds have register_globals set to OFF in the .ini which means you need to access environment variables in a different manner to most tutorials (the older ones certainly)

form posted variables
$_POST['variable_name'];

url / form getted variables - eg a.php?id=7
$_GET['id'];

server variables - eg $php_self
$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; all uppercase

$_COOKIE['var_name'];
$_SESSION['var_name'];

remember to encase the index in quotes - single or double will do - I prefer single.

PS - welcome to PHP, you'll never regret your choice :)

Mhtml
04-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Kewl, thanks for the info :)
And from what I've seen I don't think that I will regret it!

firepages
04-04-2003, 01:46 PM
welcome to the light :D

brothercake
04-04-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm ditching server-side scripting almost completely, moving instead to functional programming in XSL.

No more data/process/layout mish mash :)

(sorry if this is OT ... but it seemed relevant to a thread about why moving from one language to another is a good idea)

Mhtml
04-04-2003, 02:38 PM
I may dable in a bit of that next holidays.

[edit:]I'm gainin' on ya Bro!

missing-score
04-04-2003, 11:12 PM
I dont know at what level you are at now, but I would start by making forms that add data to a database and go from there.

Look at examples of existing code and see how its done...

Welcome to the light :D

Nice one :thumbsup:

Mhtml
04-05-2003, 03:52 AM
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing today.
It's not to different, it's still asp just different syntax, more control and a heck of a lot more grunt.

raf
04-05-2003, 09:21 AM
I made the same switch about 2 weeks ago.

My advice: search this forum:D . It solved most of my questions. Only the register_globals thing keept me awake for a few hours (i wrote my furst stuff in an older version ...)
www.php.net is my other lifesaver.

Only thing i'm having problems with is maintaining state through sessions. ASP's session object is really handy, but it's a small loss compared to some real usefull functions (on db-interaction; building PDF, images, XML, ...)

Mhtml
04-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I've been searching the forum for around an hour and everything I need to know is right here. :).. not like the ASP forum, people only ever seem to request code in there.

raf
04-05-2003, 01:16 PM
ASP is even easier to learn and you can do quite impressive stuff after a few days. So I think it's normal that there are more beginners over there. In fact, there are less coders and more "i wanna create a web-thingy" over there

Not only beginners though.

Mhtml
04-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Yeah, if you look back at some of my original posts you can see the difference between me being helped and me helping was around 2 weeks. ;)

The structure of ASP is very easy to learn, and although powerful I'm finding as I've been told by many that PHP is just so much more. . . And I'm finding that already.

For instance, file uploads. Mostly for ASP you need a component although I did find a class for it, it was huge .. It's just a few lines for PHP.. :)

krycek
04-05-2003, 02:07 PM
I'm currently messing with PHP5... it's awesome :D

just wait... ;)

::] krycek [::

Mhtml
04-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Hey Krycek!
Hehe, will do :).

scroots
04-05-2003, 05:12 PM
i had a little dabble with PHP a few weeks ago, i'm gonig to enventually use it to build a decent web site for a scout group/district.

I will serously learn it in 2-3 months after my exams.

scroots

missing-score
04-05-2003, 06:46 PM
I started learing ASP, I didnt get very far, because all the things I wanted to do was so hard, uploads, like your example.

Also, PHP hosting seems so much cheaper, and they ususally come with mysql.

I think you're making a wise move! :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum