View Full Version : Problem with curl
09-09-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm using curl inside of a perl script which requests a webpage from a remote website, which in turn gets processed by the rest of the script. When I run the program from the command line it works absolutely fine, but when I run it through apache it seems to pretend that anything related to the curl request doesn't exist. For instance, if I were to do:
my $result = `curl http://www.google.com`;
print "Content-type: text/html\n\nHELLO WORLD".$result;
it would only show up as HELLO WORLD in a browser, but google's source code shows up if I run it from the terminal. I think this is a synchronization problem, but I'm unsure of how to fix it, any suggestions?
09-09-2009, 01:15 AM
It's an environment problem. The user account that apache runs under has a different environment than your shell account. Try specifying the full path to curl.
Or, my preference would be to use one of the LWP modules, such as LWP::Simple, instead of curl.
my $content = get("http://www.google.com");
09-09-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the response :P
Specifying /usr/bin/curl doesn't help, if that's what you meant :/ I directed STDERR to STDOUT with 2>&1, and now I get this:
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 22.214.171.124: Permission denied
I was hoping I could avoid LWP and all those, since a) I've got the curl code all set up anyway and b) I need to use POST, which I remember being kind of finicky with perl modules, as opposed to extremely easy with curl.
Why would apache not be allowed to connect to other sites, and how can I change this?
09-09-2009, 02:56 AM
If it's not due to the path environment, then the next most likely cause would be proxy settings. Do you connect through a proxy server? If you're not sure, you can print out your environment settings i.e., issue the 'set' command and look for the proxy setting and/or you can check your browser's proxy settings.
If you are using a proxy, then you can specify the proxy with curl's -p or -x option (I'm not sure which so you'll need to check the man page).
On a side note, while debugging cgi scripts, you should be using the CGI::Carp module, which does the STDERR redirection as well as, in most cases, outputs more descriptive messages.
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
09-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Figured it out, SELinux was messin' with me. Turned it off and now everything works fine. Thanks for all your help!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.