View Full Version : How can I add favicon fast on big website?

lashley
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi,

I have a favicon perfectly created with dimensions the right way, etc. But to add it on all website pages is there a faster way rather then editing each page seperately? Maybe some tool, software...

Thanks,
Karl

VIPStephan
09-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Usually you just need to put the favicon into the root directory and it will be displayed automatically, no need to edit anything.
However, if you still want to mass-edit there are search and replace functions in almost every HTML editor, even with a multi-page search and replace. You just need to search for something that these pages have in common (e. g. a stylesheet link) and replace this with the same stylesheet link plus favicon link.

lashley
09-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Putting it in the root did not work... and I have NVU, I can use search and replace function but still have to do it one page at a time... and with notepad it's even faster.

Which tool allows me to open up all website pages at once and find and replace each one automatically?

Karl

VIPStephan
09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Well, I know that with Dreamweaver you don’t even have to open up many files, you can search all files in a specified directory for a certain string (even with regular expressions) and modify them without opening them. Since I’m a Mac guy I can’t help you with Windows programs very much. I’m using Coda and also know that TextWrangler can do it but they are Mac programs. I think Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm) might be what you’re looking for.

lashley
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM
ok, Notepad ++ has better search and replace than notepad... but still the only thing common pages have is:

</head>

I can only put the code on the same line as </head>, I'm not sure if </head> has to be on a new line.

Code anyway is this: <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.linkbuilderexpert.com/images/favicon.ico">

The find and replace of Notepad ++ cannot make use of ENTER , etc...

Karl

VIPStephan
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Hmm, I’m not sure but I know in other programs you can insert a new line by pressing either Alt+Enter or Ctrl+Enter or something like that (play around a little).
But it doesn’t really matter whether there is a line break before the closing head tag or not. Theoretically you can write your entire HTML document on one line, code formatting is just a matter of human readability.

So you’d search for </head> and replace it with:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.linkbuilderexpert.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">
</head>

lashley
09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
ok, that info that code can be put one one line without any problems... hopefully, is great. In notepad++ alt+enter, or shift or ctrl both did not work for that but because I can put code on one line, it does not matter...

Thanks again, have good options now.

Karl

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum