View Full Version : Recommended File Format and Canvas Size for Print

09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I have designed a logo for a client and would like to know what is the ideal format to save it in as I have to give the client a copy and also how big should the canvas size be?

I have always designed for the web. This is the first time I'm designing for print so I'm not sure about the file format and canvas size.

Thanks for your help

09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
If you're printing, head for about 300 dpi. That will give you an acceptably fine print. If you want the client to be able to edit the image, supply the source file you used. A lossless compression format such as PNG would be a good way to supply it if editing afterwards isn't important.

09-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for your reply but what I wanted to know is how big do I make the logo visually so that the client can use it without having to come to me every time he wants to use it printed at different sizes (say business cards, letter heads, etc)

09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
As large as you desire? Typically logos are created big and scaled down, so as long as it's larger than anything the client would want to do with it (within reason), it's down to choice.

09-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Ah! OK. That's fine then.

Thanks a lot!

09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Design students I know are often using PDF as file format as it is widely supported and can also be scaled and manipulated to a certain extent (remove/change background color etc.).