View Full Version : PNG image not supported by browser

09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a question about png images not being supported in certain browsers. I made a website recently and it displays fine on my end, but my client is not able to see any of the png images I have for the backgrunds.

Is this a rare problem? Or do most browsers have trouble reading transparent pngs?

09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
IE6 and below are the only browsers I know that have problems with transparent pngs. Can you post a link to your site?

09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
IE has a problem with showing slightly off-color PNGs when a certain chunk of data is present in the file, too, but the instances in which you'd notice are rare.

09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I put it online

Is there anything I can do? The website demographic is going to be a lot of elderly churchgoers who are probably not very web savvy. Should I change the transparents to gifs? will these work better in older IE?

09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
The GIFs will appear jagged and unpleasant. With some tweaking, you can remove the need for transparency here:
1) Remove the drop shadow.
2) Edit your background picture very slightly so diagonal will only ever border on one color, so you can remove the transparency and change it to that color.

Whilst we're doing the accessibility thing, it's probably best if you remove the scrollbar on the main content. Duplicate scrolling is bad practice at best and confusing at worst.

09-02-2009, 09:12 PM
That's what I'll have to do.

The scrolling was unintentional, and will be fixed.