View Full Version : pushing xml into an array object

emmitt2299
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I use personal projects to teach myself code and this is one of those.... I'm trying to import an xml document into a JS array. Basically, I want an array of football players with statistics regarding their fantasy football draft positions, std. deviations, etc. so I can maximize my team in my upcoming fantasy draft lol. Important stuff here, I tell ya... but its a good way to learn JS.

I'm pretty sure, by the alerts and messages I send myself in the code to test various points, that I have a successful httpRequest with appropriate status responses. The problem comes down to when I try to push the xml data into the array object.

I don't want to post my whole script, but I'm not positive where exactly the problem is.... so I'll post code in order of most to least important:

First, here's a snippet from the xml file:

<Players>
<player>
<id>1</id>
<pos>RB</pos>
<fname>Adrian</fname>
<lname>Peterson</lname>
<team>MIN</team>
<bigname>AdrianPetersonMIN</bigname>
<adp>2</adp>
<stddev>1</stddev>
<ryards>1690</ryards>
<rtds>13</rtds>
<rec>25</rec>
<recyards>185</recyards>
<rectds>2</rectds>
<pyards>0</pyards>
<ptds>0</ptds>
<intercep>0</intercep>
<dpts>0</dpts>
<kpts>0</kpts>
</player>

Pretty simple.... a bunch of "Players" broken down into "player" with data on each player.

Here's the code where I'm trying to import the data into an object array:

function runDraft() {

//testing how far I got
document.getElementById("playtest").innerHTML = "i really really Hate stuff";

if (xhr.readyState == 4) {
if (xhr.status == 200) {
document.getElementById("anotherone").innerHTML = "what the hell";

var xmlData = xhr.responseXML.getElementsByTagName("Players")[0];

// Add value to the player array
var ply = xmlData.getElementsByTagName("player");
for (var i=0; i<ply.length; i++) {
document.getElementById("anotherone").innerHTML = "what the hell2";
//Create the player objects

player.push(new myPlayer(getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("id")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("pos")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("fname")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("lname")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("team")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("adp")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("stddev")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("ryards")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("rtds")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("rec")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("recyards")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("rectds")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("pyards")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("ptds")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("intercep")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("dpts")[0]), getText(ply[i].getElementsByTagName("kpts")[0])));
}
//test by showing the entire player list
alert("help");
//testShowPlayers(MyPlayer);
}
}

}

on the web page, the "what the hell2" is coming through, but the alert("help") never happens.

Also of importance may be the myPlayer object:

//create the player object
function myPlayer(id, pos, fname, lname, team, adp, stddev, ryds, rtds, rec, recyds, rectds, pyds, ptds, intercept, dpts, kpts) {
this.id = id;
this.pos = pos;
this.fname = fname;
this.lname = lname;
this.team = team;
this.adp = adp;
this.stddev = stddev;
this.ryds = ryds;
this.rtds = rtds;
this.rec = rec;
this.recyds = recyds;
this.rectds = rectds;
this.pyds = pyds;
this.ptds = ptds;
this.intercept = intercept;
this.dpts = dpts;
this.kpts = kpts;
}

Any help is very much appreciated and will be rewarded with animal sacrifices and burnt offerings in your honor forever ensuring that you get a pretend-special place in heaven.

And if I win my league, you'll get .000000009% of the proceeds!

pcg
11-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the exact same thing?

Thanks!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum