View Full Version : High quality endorsement for HTML5

drhowarddrfine
09-01-2009, 04:43 AM
The Super Friends (http://www.zeldman.com/superfriends)

We, the undersigned, wish to declare our support for the direction in which the HTML5 specification is heading.

* Dan Cederholm
* Tantek Çelik
* Wendy Chisholm
* Aaron Gustafson
* Jeremy Keith
* Ethan Marcotte
* Eric Meyer
* Nicole Sullivan
* Jeffrey Zeldman

Fumigator
09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
They didn't actually sign.... must be a forgery.

VIPStephan
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Haha, I laughed about the cheesy animated GIF at the bottom. :D

Apostropartheid
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
'S quite bad web design, especially the dark blue backgrounds which looked like I've highlighted the text...

FWDrew
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
'S quite bad web design, especially the dark blue backgrounds which looked like I've highlighted the text...
Have you heard of Readability (http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/)? I think you will quite appreciate it if you don't already use it :)

Fumigator
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Have you heard of Readability (http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/)? I think you will quite appreciate it if you don't already use it :)

Hmmm... that tool is interesting, but has marginal usefulness to me. It can't handle CF, that's for sure, and it would be nice to have a "revert to original page" button (maybe there is one that I missed).

(edit) ah yes, a barely visible mystery icon on the left will reload the original page. (annoyed)

FWDrew
09-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Hmmm... that tool is interesting, but has marginal usefulness to me. It can't handle CF, that's for sure, and it would be nice to have a "revert to original page" button (maybe there is one that I missed).

(edit) ah yes, a barely visible mystery icon on the left will reload the original page. (annoyed)
Yea, it's not perfect and really not great for using on a forum, but it's really nice when you're trying to read an article on a website with horrible typography or colors or something of that nature.

Anyway, I enjoy it :thumbsup:

drhowarddrfine
09-03-2009, 01:31 AM
I think you guys might have missed the point of the site. Those are some of the biggest names in web development who are now showing support for HTML5. Many are saying they don't think anything will ever come of it and/or they'll wait a number of years before using it but now the heavyweights are endorsing it which should mean something to somebody.

The look of that page means nothing to this thread.

Scriptet
09-03-2009, 02:41 AM
I agree HTML5 should make our pages more semantic.

Hopefully it will enable search engines to distinguish our semantic sites from the stupid table based, divit infested pages that are common amongst most pages.

When can we start using HTML5 though?

And what advantages can you see arising from a "semantic" page.

Apostropartheid
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Well, to be honest, drdr, I really expected them to be behind it *anyway*. How is the video codec war going?

drhowarddrfine
09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
When can we start using HTML5 though?
I've been using HTML5 for several months on my company site. At least the elements which are most likely settled on, and there are quite a few.

I'd use them on my clients site, too, but I'm just too busy to try it since I'd have to be more wary of things. Not that I think I'd have any real issues but I just wouldn't have time to deal with anything that might come up right now.

drhowarddrfine
09-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, to be honest, drdr, I really expected them to be behind it *anyway*.Until they had a meeting a few days ago, they weren't behind it at all; or at least very wary of it.
How is the video codec war going?Everyone's jockeying for position. I don't have time to watch that right now. I'm deeply immersed in recoding an ecommerce site right now.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum