View Full Version : Autoresponder for IM client

Tabetha
08-25-2009, 12:37 AM
I have been toying with the idea of creating an autoresponder for an IM client that responded to keywords. Say for instance, I am having a conversation with so and so, and I want to watch a movie and their convo is dull, but for some reason, I still want them to think I am nice enough to talk to them, I would want the program to pick up on keywords in the messages sent to me and respond to them with a relative response.
Ex:

Boring person: I had a ham sandwich for lunch today.

The autoresponder would then pick up on the keyword "lunch" and "sandwich" and produce a response such as...

Autoresponder/Me: Yummy.

What I need to know is what program would be the best to write this little pearl of wisdom in? I was thinking C++ but I think the only reason that was my first option is because I am learning it now and it is my first program language.

I would appreciate any advice that you seasoned coders could give me. I would really like to write this program.

Thanks ahead of time!:D

oracleguy
08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
This program would likely work as a plug in for an existing IM program. For example Trillian and Pidgin both support 3rd party plugins and that is what your program would be. It could use the IM program's API to get to the information you need, as in the message sent by a user.

Tabetha
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, that is what I was planning on doing. Adding the program in as a plugin to yahoo. The only thing is, I need to know what language to write the code in so that will work with yahoo. I guess I can google that at this point, huh?
I couldn't stop laughing at your signature quote....lol....the one about Roy...that was funny.

oracleguy
08-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that is what I was planning on doing. Adding the program in as a plugin to yahoo. The only thing is, I need to know what language to write the code in so that will work with yahoo. I guess I can google that at this point, huh?
I couldn't stop laughing at your signature quote....lol....the one about Roy...that was funny.

It is probably C++, but see what language the Yahoo plugin API is designed for. That will ultimately determine which language you'll need to use.

Tabetha
08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks, I will check it out and update on what I find.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum