View Full Version : Easiest Compiler

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I just need an easy compiler for C/C++, I tried Visual C++ 2008 but im retarted and cant find out how to use the compiler. Is there anything super easy thats just a compiler that I can find easy? :)

oracleguy
08-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Visual C++ is pretty straight forward, you create a project and then add code files to it and run it. The code files being the *.cpp file(s) that your program is in.

Beyond that you could try MiniGW.

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 06:22 AM
How do I open the visual C++ lol, Theres no where for me to open it

If I go to start>Programs>Visual C++ file or w/e
it should be there? not for me...

Edit: Acually I have Microsoft Visual Studion 2008 Folder

oracleguy
08-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Yeah, Visual C++ is part of Visual Studio so it might be under Visual Studio.

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Microsoft Visual... >> Tools >> Debugger
Thats all I got

oracleguy
08-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Sounds like you might not have installed it right or something. You installed Visual C++ 2008 Express right?

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Well, Acually, visual basic, then I tried C#

oracleguy
08-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Try looking down near the bottom of the programs list after all the groups where the icons are.

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 06:53 AM
There it is lol, thanks, I may need a little more help so please read if I post again :)

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Ok, so I basically figured this out on how to edit the program and run it, just a question on what this can do...
With this program, can you create games?

BWiz
08-16-2009, 09:42 AM
The compiler doesn't "let" (or prohibit) you from creating games - it is merely a tool (in a large array of tools) which can be used to create a game. The only thing that can prevent you from creating a game is your intelligence, ingenuity, dedication and access to tools.

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Do I need to download anything extra to make games or can I start with making a game right after downloading it?

Millenia
08-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Do I need to download anything extra to make games or can I start with making a game right after downloading it?

I don't think you understand the 'task' involved in creating a game. We get a lot of posts about people who want to dive straight into a game without actually learning to program first (which seems an awkward way to learn).

With this program, can you create games? When you said that; it almost showed that you expect the program to make a game for you. This is not what will happen. I'm not familiar with Visual C++, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't program for you.

I suggest you learn C++ yourself, and then create a game with your own knowledge of programming (which could take a very long time). There is some C/C++ resources here. http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=40778 - I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just trying to get you to understand what it takes to make a game, and the effort required. Good luck if you are serious about this.

tommi123
08-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Get Bloodshed. It's a nice environment that comes with mingw. You can download it from here:
www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html)

Ndogg
08-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't think you understand the 'task' involved in creating a game. We get a lot of posts about people who want to dive straight into a game without actually learning to program first (which seems an awkward way to learn).

When you said that; it almost showed that you expect the program to make a game for you. This is not what will happen. I'm not familiar with Visual C++, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't program for you.

I suggest you learn C++ yourself, and then create a game with your own knowledge of programming (which could take a very long time). There is some C/C++ resources here. http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=40778 - I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just trying to get you to understand what it takes to make a game, and the effort required. Good luck if you are serious about this.

Iv made games before, but not with C++, it was acually alot easier than C++.
I know it doesnt program itself lol, but I was jsut hoping to use a game already coded like pong or tic tac toe that I found, and just learn off that. I will look at those recources and hopefully learn more from that, thanks.

BWiz
08-17-2009, 07:16 AM

Most game developers use game libraries - code which has been prewritten by someone else - which contains functions that are commonly used in game development, (ie. sound manipulation).

The most powerful one out there is DirectX by Microsoft, however, it's incredibly complicated to use for beginners.

Once you've mastered C++ programming (such as using templates, interfaces, pointers, linked lists etc) you should download and compile the Allegro Game Library (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/). The Allegro Library provides a smooth transition into game programming and allows you to create simple games (ie. Asteroids).

EDIT: The DirectX library works only in Windows, while the Allegro Game Library can be compiled for multiple operating systems. Meaning, that games you create using the Allegro Library can be ported to other operating systems (such as Mac OSX and distros of Linux) flawlessly.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum