View Full Version : Relatively easy language..

04-01-2003, 12:23 PM
I'd like to have a go at making some games, I know basics of programming. Like I've done BASIC and Python so I'd like to get into something real.

Eventually I'd like to make games, so a language capable of that would be good.

Hmm.. Windows platform, capable of GUI programming would be a plus!
Only FREE languages will do ;).

I don't really mind if the language is complex if you can give me a few links to tutorials that explain properly I'm sure I'll get by.

04-01-2003, 12:30 PM
You can write VB programs in Excel...

04-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Somehow I don't think that's quite what I would be wanting to do Phantom.

I was thinking of a real language. I'd also like to stay away from VB.

04-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Here is a good guide to most languages:

You can use Java or C++ to develop games and create GUI's for them. Both have nearly identical syntax.

04-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Scheme (and other LISPs) - once you get it. The language won't come naturally for someone used to imperative languages, but once you know it, it's easy to do things that would get far more complicated in most other languages.

However, most game developers use C/C++ or objective C as their main language with ASM for some parts of the games. Some game developers even construct their own private languages for critical tasks - optimised for exactly what the game does.

04-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by liorean
Scheme (and other LISPs) - once you get it. The language won't come naturally for someone used to imperative languages

That is quite an understatement. lol I'm a Java/C++ programmer and I'm busy right now writing a few programs in LISP. Hating it. :)

Unfortunately LISP is commonly used for Artificial Intelligence(AI) so I guess we are stuck with it.

04-01-2003, 07:27 PM
By bro's a big fan of LISP ... apparently the cool thing about it is that you can write extensions to LISP in LISP :)

04-01-2003, 09:51 PM
LISP is pretty cool - the fact that you can write any program in LISP using only 6 operators in combinations is one of the more interesting things about it.

The big problem with LISP for many that are used to imperative languages, is how easy it is to do things that are complicated in other languages, and how hard LISP makes doing some of the really easy things in return. Functional languages have their points, though - A professor showed me a sample of two programs calculating the first thousand decimals of pi - the interpreted (meaning source text, not even byte-code) LISP program does it in 23% of the time it takes the compiled c program...