View Full Version : how to start programming

clharri23
08-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Could someone point me in the right direction, please? I want to learn how to program outside of the classroom, but I don't know where to begin. What are the best and most accessible tools that will help to learn computer science or computer programming?

TheShaner
08-07-2009, 02:06 PM
This question is asked and answered here all the time. Just search the forums.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.codingforums.com+programming+learn+start&qfront=programming+learn+start&se=on

First see if at least a few of the 100 or so threads on this subject are helpful, then if you still need more direction, let us know :)

-Shane

clharri23
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, you're right. I should have checked first. I've googled some information, and most people suggest starting with a compiler and learning paschal. Is this a good entry level strategy to begin programming?

ShaneC
08-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Personally I would recommend just diving straight into a language that is more mainstream. While I did begin programming in a Paschal variant I didn't really start learning until I programmed in more mainstream languages.

It may not be a bad idea to start with C. It's a VERY temperamental language but its syntax is the basis for really all the languages that follow it. If you want to start with an easy language then I'd recommend PHP - it doesn't require variable decelerations, memory allocations, and its debugging errors are very descriptive.

Either way you go you'll be learning a great deal about programming and may even create a useful script in the process.

tommi123
08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I would get a nice environment and a compiler first and learn from examples.
A good compiler is here:

www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum