View Full Version : How to execute a .pl program

Four750
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I donīt know nothing about Perl, but I found an useful program on the Web.
How I execute this file for working on the Web?

Regards

Four

FishMonger
08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
First, you need to install Perl on your system.

What OS are you on?

What is this script supposed to do?

Can you post it so we can take a look at it?

numberwhun
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
The last thing that you want to do is to go executing some code on your system when you don't even know what it actually does.

Sure, the description may have said one thing, but unless you have examined the code and know for sure that is what it does, I would be wary.

As was mentioned, I agree that you should post the script here along with answering the other questions that were posed.

Regards,

Jeff

KevinADC
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
The last thing that you want to do is to go executing some code on your system when you don't even know what it actually does.

Sure, the description may have said one thing, but unless you have examined the code and know for sure that is what it does, I would be wary.

As was mentioned, I agree that you should post the script here along with answering the other questions that were posed.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff? :confused:
Yes it is Jeff! :thumbsup:
Hi Jeff :D

hackYourBrain
08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
a .pl script can only be executed from the shell.. the command is

perl programname.pl

you can also rename the file to .cgi put it in your cgi-bin directory..and call it from the browser using the correct path.

Jake the Snake

FishMonger
08-07-2009, 03:12 AM
a .pl script can only be executed from the shell.. the command is

perl programname.pl

you can also rename the file to .cgi put it in your cgi-bin directory..and call it from the browser using the correct path.

Jake the Snake

Actually, that's not exactly correct, part of it depends on the platform.

First, if the system is configured correctly, you don't need to launch the interpreter directly and pass it the script; you just need to call the script. On Windows, you need to configure a .pl and/or .cgi (or any unused ext) file type that points to the interpreter. If you're on a *nix system, you need to make sure the shebang line is set correctly and you never need to have any file extension on the script (that's a Windows thing).

And cgi scripts don't need to have a .cgi extension, they could have any extension or not extension at all, as long as the system is configured correctly.

hackYourBrain
08-07-2009, 04:03 PM
if anyone can make a simple questin complicated its you fish.. just tell him how to run then script. if you dont know what platform.. give him windows and linux and donee..

Bob

bazz
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
uh?? at least he didn't contradict himself within the one post. :p

The OP is a beginner so, it is likely easier to upload the script to the server, set its permissions and call it in the browser.

I agree that it is better to check exactly what the script does before running it on a server.

bazz

FishMonger
08-07-2009, 04:23 PM
if anyone can make a simple questin complicated its you fish.. just tell him how to run then script. if you dont know what platform.. give him windows and linux and donee..

Bob

If it was a simple question, then why did you give the wrong or misleading answer?

There are a lot of misconceptions being passed around and rather than perpetuating those misconceptions (i.e., wrong/bad information), I prefer to give the correct info. So, my comment was aimed more at you hoping that you'd gain a little better understanding.

hackYourBrain
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
ok ok fish.. lets get down to business.. can you please help me with my script on my thread.. I got some new info

FreeJack

hackYourBrain
08-07-2009, 07:22 PM
ok never mind Im using another change the code a bit and its working now.. will post later thanks dudes

starchild

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum