View Full Version : novice coder seeking help for reading from program

dadokiek
07-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello. I'm kind of a novice at programming. I have taught myself C++ by reading a manual, and I have learned some other things such as html and a little bit of a couple others.

I am curious. I'm trying to make a program that takes text from a text game, read it, and then based on what the text is, send another thing back. I'm just curious what language(s) I would have to use to accomplish this, and how I would use that language to do my goal. Thank you for reading this and more thanks to those who can help.

Dunna
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
C++, use FindWindow technique and I believe FindDialog if it's a dialog box. SendMessage will allow you to send the info you want back. Otherwise you could take screenshots and make a program to analyze the font, but that's more involved.

oracleguy
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
If you were going the C# route, just start the process (the game) from your application. The Process class allows you to redirect the input and output streams and you can read and write to them like a file.

dadokiek
07-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Would C# be the best route to take in this instance? I haven't messed with C# much, and everything I've found either talks about IPC or sockets.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum